Breastfeeding in Public

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mumof2 Posts: 3864
http://www.weddingsonline.ie/discussion ... p?t=119617
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
O:| Horrible to read some of the seriously negative attitudes. O:|
MissieGold Posts: 1124
Couldn't bring myself to read all 6 pages Id just end up annoyed at peoples attitudes. With a post like that there are bound to be a few people gunning for a fight. 99% of women I have seen brestfeeding publicly have done so so discretely that it barely gets noticed unless you stare. That said DH is a little embarrassed when he sees someone BF not discusted as he is very much in favour of it, its more that he feels he is intruding on a private moment between mother and baby.
justwaitin Posts: 2462
i started to read this and stopped, i did bf my ds in public was always discreet, i never had anyone confront me about what i was doing. I cant see why some people would have issues with it, i think people who do are self centered according to the orginal post the ladys friend was digusted to see some one bf in a cafe, all id say is get over yourself , what a small minded individual she is. Breastfeeding is difficult to master it takes a lot of effort to do confidently in public, we need to see more people bf in public to change the bad attiudes.
Delish Posts: 4176
I read the whole lot and I muct say I'm shocked by some of the comments, but I suppose it's good to thrash these things out and actually get to the bottom of why people get embarrassed by either breast feeding or seeing others breastfeed - there doesn't seem to be any rational reason. Given that breasts are constantly on show in a provocative way, no one should really have any difficulty viewing them in a maternal natural way , and it's only in the minority of cases that anyone even sees the breast when a woman is breastfeeding, so I just don't see the problem.
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
[quote="Delish":27qtnfhj]I read the whole lot and I muct say I'm shocked by some of the comments, but I suppose it's good to thrash these things out and actually get to the bottom of why people get embarrassed by either breast feeding or seeing others breastfeed - [b:27qtnfhj]there doesn't seem to be any rational reason.[/b:27qtnfhj][/quote:27qtnfhj] That is what made me read through the whole thing, and I guess it is partly why a few posters are so defensive. They can't explain why they feel the way they do. [quote="Delish":27qtnfhj]Given that breasts are constantly on show in a provocative way, no one should really have any difficulty viewing them in a maternal natural way , and it's only in the minority of cases that anyone even sees the breast when a woman is breastfeeding, so I just don't see the problem.[/quote:27qtnfhj] I think that the media etc have sexualised them so much might be part of the problem.
chocaddict Posts: 344
It really is sad that some women can't see beyond the sexual function of our breasts,to their just as important (if not much more important) feeding function. When a woman is breastfeeding she is feeding her child, just as when a woman is bottle feeding. Anyone who thinks breastfeeding is not acceptable in situations where they believe bottle feeding is acceptable are discriminatory and should recognise that their attitudes say more about their own insecurities (about breasts and women) than anything else. I have no experience of breastfeeding and have no children but have always admired the courage and confidence of women who publicly breastfeed, given the narrowminded, misogynistic country we live in. It is a beautiful, natural and such a peaceful loving thing to see. My mother breastfed all of us and I am eternally grateful to her for giving us the healthiest possible start in life. She says she had no problem doing so discretely in public, and it would have broken my heart to hear she hibernated at home for the entire time she breastfed us, for fear of the wrath of the narrowminded minority (I hope they are a minority)
silíní Posts: 4219
Ive read that other thread, god it got really heated! To be honest i think it all boils down to attitudes about our own bodies/sexuality etc. That is the only thing that explains to me why people might feel put off their food by the sight of a woman's breast. To me it makes no sense. I see no connection whatsoever between breastfeeding, no matter how 'indiscreetly' done, and defecating etc. Personally most of my friends BF and i dont feel vaguely uncomfortable with it. I think it's fantastic to see women out BF in public and not being afraid of people's attitudes. As i said before in another post, women used to get negative attitudes for having babies outside marriage/working/showing some ankle. And women's bravery has caused these societal attitudes to change. I hope the same happens with breastfeeding in Ireland. Only we can change it.
mariac Posts: 982
what do people expect - that a baby should be fed in the toilet!!! i do not see the problem it is completely natural and done since the dawn of mankind. i seriously wouldnt care if i offended anyone - this is there problem - big deal if they have issues. if your baby is hungry then the least you can do is seat yourself in a clean environment and do the most natural thing in the world