Breastfeeding routine

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fredd Posts: 259
Hi, just wondering if anyone thats breastfeeding trying to get baby into some sort of routine or just feeding on demand?
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
What age is your baby? I always just fed on demand- as he got older he fell into a very loose 'routine' but if he particularly wanted to be fed I always just went with it.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
With both of my boys from when they were newborns, I lifted them every 3 hours to be fed. This seemed to help them get into a routine and both of them looked only be to fed every three hours (which of course got more spaced out as they got older). The exception being of course when they where going through growth spurts and fed for a day or two straight :)
lovelycuppatea Posts: 481
I also fed on demand for the first 4 weeks or so to get my supply established. We then fell into a rhythm of about every 2.5 - 3 hours. I kind of did the baby whisperer thing of Eat, Play, Sleep. I found it helpful in figuring out why DS was crying, well for a lot of the time anyway. If he hadn't just been fed then it was most likely tiredness and he needed a nap.
mamime Posts: 791
My ds is 3 months old and we are also following the e.a.s.y. routine. He gets milk whenever he wakes from a nap basically. Its a routine where he knows what comes next and we aren't stuck to the clock, which works great with a toddler. However he screams something terrible if i can't immediately feed him when he wakes! Also as he is getting older he isn't sleeping from feed to feed making the gaps between feeds go from 3-4hrs to 2-3hrs and i feel like i am sitting under him. Nothing is perfect, but all i keep telling myself is next month he starts the spoon and hopefully naps will get fewer and longer and nights will get better! I'm definitely one for routine though no matter how loose. It helps keep you sane when they cry so you aren't pulling your hair out... too much ;)
atina Posts: 2240
I'm currently feeding my 17 week old baby but I never really demand fed her except for the 3 days I was in hospital to get my milk in! I've been following Gina Fords contented little baby routines since we came home from hospital and thankfully for us it's working like a dream! I know that that book isn't for everyone but it's done wonders for our baby she sleeps fantasticly and feeds brilliantly I really recommend it the routine changes slightly every couple of weeks as the baby gets older and needs less sleep etc
70schick Posts: 201
It's kind of hard to establish a set routine per se but you do find after the first 2 or 3 months that baby will feed at pretty set times. It's difficult to rely on it though when you factor in growth spurts or times where they might be unwell when they would feed more for comfort or less in the case of teething. After breastfeeding 2 babies, I would say let the routine develop naturally and be open to change. It will settle a lot more if you feed when baby starts solids. Best of luck!