Breatfeeding -yes or no?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Soho Posts: 182
JUst wondering do any of you plan on breastfeeding? I am considering it at the moment simply because it helps get you back in shape after the baby. I was bottlefed as were all my brothers and sisters so I'm not of the opinion that breast is best the simple fact is I want to get back skinny as quickly as possible. What do you plan on doing?
willthiswork Posts: 1995
I plan on breast feeding if I ever have a baby for the following reasons: Getting back in shape A lot less hassle (no sterilising/heating bottles etc) Better for the baby
[email protected] Posts: 492
Hi Soho, I hadn't realised that it helped with weight reduction - but if it helps Yipppeeee!! Like you i was bottle fed as was Hubby and all my siblings but i do believe based on the evidence available that it is better in the long run for the baby. I'd like to be able to breastfeed but if it doesn't work out for us i'll try not to worry. From talking to friends of mine who have used both methods its incredibly hard work, can be painful and personally demanding especially around day 3 but they felt that it was worth it. Hubby isn't terribly keen on the idea but i've told him that if it works out for us i'll express so he can feed baby in the evenings etc.
charli Posts: 5994
hi girls, i am no mother earth but i did breast feed til my baby was 4 months! firstly, i wouldn't do it first and for most to get back in shape, imo you really have to WANT to try it, which i did (i was always of the opinion that i would give it a go and if it got too much or i was fed up i would stop) let me say i was thrilled i did it. first 10 days are difficult (i won't lie) soreness, trying to get the baby used to it, frequency of feeding to increase your supply but after that happy days, it was soo simple, no making bottles, no going downstairs in the night to a freezing house (my baby was a winter baby!) my little tip (which my mam gave me) please, please if you breastfeed get the baby used to taking a bottle! my mam had this trouble, when she wanted to finish breastfeeding the baby didn't want to know about the bottle and she had to feed my sister until she was 11/12 months!!!!!! :shock: i was religious about this and would express into a regular bottle and once the baby was maybe 3/4 weeks give her one feed from a bottle every evening, that way she was used to it when i wanted to finisg GO FOR IT, AT LEAST GIVE IT A TRY!!! they say even the first day of breastfeeding is good for the baby hope there wasn't too much info!!!!!
Grainne20 Posts: 835
I plan on giving it a try.....save some money too, formula gets expensive.
Lucy D Posts: 91
Hi I am going to give it a go myself but I think I am also going to express aswell so hubbie can join in the feeding and getting up in the middle of the night. I have heard that it is sore but I have been rubbing pure vit e oil around the nipple area apparanelty it help gets things ready and to have them soft and supple to prvent dryness and soreness when you start.
charli Posts: 5994
too true, that reminds me........ another tip, when i did stop, i thought all was grand as i had her used to the bottle but it was little tricky getting her used to formula, they seemed to heavy and she would bring some up after (much more than usual) so i found Cow & Gate, Omneo and worked a treat, think it's for easier digestion!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
This is something I've been thinking about recently, but TBH, I don't think I will. I don't buy into this business of kids being healthier / thinner, etc later in life having been BF, etc, etc. All my siblings and I, as well as my 6 nieces and nephews were all bottle fed, and (touch wood), you could not find a healthier family. I know that I'll have to go back to work as soon as I can after giving birth, so I don't want to have the poor baby so dependent on me, and mainly for that reason / the baby's own sake we will be bottle-feeding. This will also allow hubby to take part in the feeding (and hopefully I will get some rest because of it :D ). As charli said, you have to really want to do it, for it to work. A friend of my sister had her baby recently (6 weeks ago) and has had the most awful time trying to BF, and she has admitted it was because she was not fully committed to the idea to start with :roll:
MTMR Posts: 788
With the last 2 I fed myself and have to say it was the most gratifying experience of my life. to help any of you thinking about it: * I firmly believe that the reason I was able to do it was I took each feed 1 at a time. I was totally relaxed about the whole thing and knew if I couldn't do it that there was always the bottle! I know my DH hated it when I'd be off to work after my leave was over because it meant paying for formula....why in Gods name would you put yourself through that expense when you have the facilities to do the job yourself? As for the timesaving in sterilising. And as for when a baby is screaming for a feed and you have to try to juggle baby in 1 hand, boiling kettle in the other and measure (and remember how many) spoons of formula, I swear it's so worth the first few days of pain. And for those who think that it's only breastfeeding women who go through the pain, you are mistaken, I know my cousin was in agony when her milk came in and she wasn't feeding.
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
I BF for 2 weeks, it was really handy in the hospital but it was torture when i got home i had no infections or probs with DS latching on just the complete hassle of it ! Every hour he was hungry and i didnt know what he was getting so when he cried i couldnt rule hunger out of the checklist of " things that could be wrong with him" coz i didnt honestly know, so the first thing id do was shove the boob in his mouth!!! Even to this day DS is still a snacker becuase of this , so agree wiht everyone here, you have to be really really committed and after about 2 weeks try establish a routine with BF, even 3 hourly feeds as i wish some one told me i could do this as its one of the main reasons i gave up as my PHN told me you have to feed them on demand & i just thought no way am i doing this for months on end :shock:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10