Bridesmaid choices - etiquette?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

amarylis Posts: 157
Do you have to pick as one of your bridesmaids people you have been bridesmaid for? I ask because I have a choice of 5 possible people but only want to have 2. Two of the five I have been or will be bridesmaid for before I marry. Two others are my unmarried friends. The fifth is my SIL to be who hasn't asked me to be her bridesmaid but would be good at organising. Any suggestions / advice?
anonymousbridetobe Posts: 1563
I'm not sure about the ettiquette, so can't help there. But would definitely take the best of both worlds regarding your sis in law. If she's a great organiser and hasn't asked you, then if you don't ask her you will still have all her help, plus the help of your 2 BM. That's what I would do!
mollyg Posts: 441
Not sure about etiquette..from a personal point of view, I wouldn't expect my bridesmaid to ask me to be her bridesmaid because she has sisters...
Nolongerwollie Posts: 2181
Sod etiquette! There are so many posts on here with brides moaning about their bms - pick 2 that you think will be most supportive & cause you the least amount of stress!!!
Betty B Posts: 153
I agree with Lady Godiva..... go for whoever you think is going to be helpful I would never choose someone because I felt I should at the end of the day its your day so do what pleases you and choose whoever is going to make things easier for you - you'll have enough to worry about...
jarashow Posts: 3083
I don't think there is any such thing as etiquette in this regard. Have who you want, just because you did it for someone else doesn't mean they should do it for you, also they might not even want to.... some people enjoy the day more just being a guest, but will still be there to help you during the prep.
Tess72 Posts: 1173
I don't think it has much to do with ettiquette - unless you have sisters you are close to but even then, I just thought you were supposed to pick your best friends, cos they're the people you want around you at this special and exciting time. That's what I did anyway.
.... Posts: 667
hunky_dorey Posts: 2714
Pick the 2 that YOU want to have!
amarylis Posts: 157
Thanks guys you give good advice - have been stressing about this for a while (and haven't even started planning the wedding so the real stress has yet to start!) and have been driving the H2B mad looking for advice think he's fed up with me talking about it! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a rule out there that everyone else knew about and that I didn't and end up offending people.