Bringing FMIL dress shopping

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dollydel Posts: 1726
I won't be wedding dress shopping until next year but I was thinking about it the other day and I have decided that I am going to ask my FMIL to come with me as well and my Mam, sister and best friend. So anyone else do this? Did it work out well or a nightmare?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I guess it would depend on your relationship with her.
AwkwardAnnie Posts: 2191
I think it totally depends on your relationship with her. For a lot of wollies here it would be their worst nightmare but for me it wouldn't as I get on so well with my MIL, she's a big part of my life.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I only went dress shopping my mam - BMs saw the dress on the day I was collecting it! TBH for me I think it was a case that too many opinions wouldn't have been helpful for me so I stuck with the tried and tested opinion of my mam! I had a good idea what I wanted so I knew I could rely on her opinion!
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I wouldn't have asked my MIL. I wanted it to be a time for myself really. I didn't want any unnecessary drama or to be made paranoid by her reaction or lack thereof to any of my choices. Too many cooks spoil the broth. I didn't go to many shops anyway and it was on my 2nd trip when I was with my mother and 2 sisters (CBM and BM) that I found [i:2q59pcyh]the[/i:2q59pcyh] dress. I'm sure your FMIL wouldn't expect to be asked so just be sure before you ask. Would you prefer, or your mother prefer it were only be a select few? I didn't even describe my dress to my FMIl not that she seemed too bothered. She had to wait just like most others til the big day. I think she may feel surplus to requirements anyway and leave the talking to you and your side.
Dollydel Posts: 1726
I have a very good relationship with her probably because I don't see her that often. She lives in a different county. It was actually my Mam that said it to me, my FMIL doesn't have any daughters and I know she didn't have much of an input when her other son got married because of his wife.
petersgirl Posts: 1568
That's very nice of you to include her like that :) I have to say though, regardless of who she is, 4 people seems like a bit much for dress shopping. People have so many different opinions on dresses it might confuse you. I think the recommended number is 2 or 3 at the most. Maybe you can try it for the first shop and see how it goes. You might find that it's hard to pick a day a time that suits all 4 anyway, especially if you will visit a lot of shops :wv
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
[quote="Dollydel":1v6sevfx]I have a very good relationship with her probably because I don't see her that often. She lives in a different county. It was actually my Mam that said it to me, my FMIL doesn't have any daughters and I know she didn't have much of an input when her other son got married because of his wife.[/quote:1v6sevfx] Thats my situation. MIL lives about an hour away from us and has no daughters. When OH's brother got married she was completely cut out of the planning so I have given her as much information as she wants. I also invited her to come dress shopping with me but she declined as said she would like it to be a surprise on the day.
happyfamily Posts: 3323
I brought her along one day to a few shops on her own as she has no daughters and would never get the chance. We'd a lovely time!
Sprocket Posts: 1671
I brought my MIL and she said she felt very honoured to have been asked to come along. She only has boys and felt wuite left out of her other son's wedding so I made sure to include her as much as I (and my nerves) could BUT I did check with my Mum first to make sure she didn't mind. I didn't want her to feel like I was taking away from something that we would have traditionally done together.