Bringing kids to Mass

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Hi, just wondering do you/will you bring your babies to Mass. Myself and DH were talking about it the other day. We would have a fairly strong faith and said we would start bringing the baby from about 6 weeks and get the child Christened at about the same stage. My Mam brought all of us fom 6 weeks aswell and said she had no problem with us crying, misbehaving, etc. My nephew was christened when he was maybe 8 months old (my mother had been trying to get her to do it for months), but he hasnt been brought to Mass yet. She is supposed to go to a funeral this week for a close friends Mother but she cant go as she cant bring him into a church he would go mad. What do you think?
pattie Posts: 2379
I suppose if there was a crying room in the church that would be okay. Otherwise, maybe she could sit at the back so she could get out quickly if she needed to. In general I don't know if small kids get any benefit out of Mass, it used to seem about 4 hours long to me as a child and I remember my mother murdering me after Mass when I was about 3 as I had been misbehaving in Mass, don't know what she expected from a 3 year-old. If they had some kind of Sunday school for children like the Church of Ireland maybe they would get more out of it than Mass.
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[color=indigo:38johcqh]I think it's unfair to the priest and to other church go'ers when a child is screaming their head off and a parent or whoever doesn't bring the child outside of the church!! Once they bring them outside I think that's totally fair enough!! We're not church go'ers at all but we'll bring the lil one go mass when they're about 1 perhaps as our own parents brought us and when we hit 18 we got to make our own choices!! (Mass on a Sunday morning following a heavy night out the night before soon made me a very infrequent visitor to church!!! :-8 )[/color:38johcqh]
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Personally its far too young and too disturbing for others who are there to pray etc...I think when they are in school its time enough but thats my view. We always got the elbow and the look from my Mam if we giggled or misbehaved,I haven't been since I got married :-8
Avril Hiswife Posts: 1743
You will know yourselves when your baby is born. I had several little ones at my wedding and there was not a peep out of any of them. If there had been I would have expected the parents to take them outside. I think most of the complaints you hear about babies in church are because some parents will sit through a ceremony with a screaming baby, maybe thinking that if they have to listen to it so should every one else or perhaps because the parents don't want to miss out.
Christmas B Posts: 6191
[quote="Mama Dora":28pp2pqv]We always got the elbow and the look from my Mam if we giggled or misbehaved,I haven't been since I got married :-8[/quote:28pp2pqv] [color=indigo:28pp2pqv]Same here!! When we all go together at Christmas, my Mum [b:28pp2pqv][u:28pp2pqv]STILL[/u:28pp2pqv][/b:28pp2pqv] seperates us because we'll be giddey!!![/color:28pp2pqv] :o0 :o0 :o0
mammybean Posts: 10364
[quote="Christmas B":33u0kkpo][quote="Mama Dora":33u0kkpo]We always got the elbow and the look from my Mam if we giggled or misbehaved,I haven't been since I got married :-8[/quote:33u0kkpo] [color=indigo:33u0kkpo]Same here!! When we all go together at Christmas, my Mum [b:33u0kkpo][u:33u0kkpo]STILL[/u:33u0kkpo][/b:33u0kkpo] seperates us because we'll be giddey!!![/color:33u0kkpo] :o0 :o0 :o0[/quote:33u0kkpo] id be the same we get awfl giddy , i tik its cos you know you shouldnt. i hope to bring the baby, and if the baby kicks up i will remve myself. simple. i havent been to mass apart from weddings and funerals since my mum died, i fell out with him up there, esp after all my m/c's etc. i keep saying i am going to go ack - i alwys think you feel better after
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Thanks for the replies girls. I agree she shouldnt bring him cos he wont behave and its not fair to others. But i think if you bring them young you wont have this problem. I asked Mam did she have to sit down the back with us in case she had to bring us out and she said she never had to we were always quiet - except my brother she couldnt bring him for years he was too bold.
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
We have decided when they start school is about the time to take the child every week let them know their faith. Lucy
Moet for me Posts: 1841
There are family masses in a lot of churches. In ours it is like a hen house it is so noisy but the priest doesn't mind he has all the kids up to the altar for the gospel ignores all the crying and shouting and gets on with it. Our old priest used to say it was the childs way of praying and just ignore it.