Budget at home

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Do any of you work off a budget at home for bills,shopping etc? Have you worked out your incomings against your outgoings and benefited from this? Just curios as I need to go through all our expenses and try and cut some at the same time thanks
Princess Cinders Posts: 11475
I have an excel spreadsheet with a rough budget set up, sometimes I stick to it better than others but every 10 days or so I check the balance in my bank account then go to spreadsheet and see what bills etc still need to be paid for that month and if neceessary make a few cutbacks
minnieminx Posts: 249
:o( I wish i budgeted so does my h2b :o0 . I just seem to spend spend spend and then wonder where it all went when the bank statement comes in. Seriously need to watch the pennies but its not one of my best qualities.
ohsohappybride Posts: 3476
Budgeting is the only real things H2B and I argue about. He's HOPELESS. O:| Not that I'm perfect but I do make an effort. :-8 Would love to hear how other peoplpe manage...
rio Posts: 995
yep i work from a spread sheet and i think it's great, keeps me on my toes and i know when i have the extra yoyo's to spend on clothes,hols or put towards wedding.
NotHere Posts: 10273
We set up a budget in the lead up to the wedding and ended up saving 5 and a half grand in the space of about 6 months even though we had a lot of outgoings. Just restricted our spending and made sure there was always money for bills. We've kept it up since and it's nice to know that the bills can be paid as soon as they come in instead of leaving them for a couple of weeks to scrape some cash together. Would defintely recommend it, it can be hard work setting it up but once you get into the routine of it, it's really worth it for the peace of mind.
[quote="Princess Cinders":2i99ldlg]I have an excel spreadsheet with a rough budget set up, sometimes I stick to it better than others but every 10 days or so I check the balance in my bank account then go to spreadsheet and see what bills etc still need to be paid for that month and if neceessary make a few cutbacks[/quote:2i99ldlg] That's what I need Cinders,although shopping varies from week to week depending on what we need I will try and set something up now on excel...I just cancelled my gym membership I had too,I wasn't going and paying for it is ridiculous,we have too much going on at the moment.So thats €60 extra a month already...... :o)ll
ohsohappybride Posts: 3476
I don't mean to sound stupid but do you just have columns in exfcel on ingoings and outgoings??
[quote="Ohsohappybride":rin5jobp]I don't mean to sound stupid but do you just have columns in exfcel on ingoings and outgoings??[/quote:rin5jobp] Yes I suppose it is stupid to ask,but I was really wondering is it a common thing to do and is it stuck too
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
yup we do, 80-100 euro per week on food, 40 put aside for bills, 280 for mortgage, we have no other loans h2b had van on finance but after the mons is paid out what we have left is our own