Buffet for main meal?????????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Caca milis Posts: 68
Not sure if this should be in feedback or old faithful...!! H2b and I are trying to cut costs BIG TIME and we have thought about having a buffet instead of sit down meal. There will be turkey n ham, beef stroginoff (sp) or chicken dish, rice, baked potato and 3 salads. We can pick any desert and this is served to the table. We wouldnt have a starter tho. We can save €10 per person doing this!!! Anyone been to a wedding where there was a buffet or have you heard any reports of a buffet wedding??? Is it bad to expect our guests to que for their food??
wishin&hoping Posts: 3666
H2Bs cousin had a buffet wedding a few years ago. She didn't get married till 5. It was lovely. You could pick & choose what you liked. I don't think she had a started either. For dessert she had the wedding cake. As it was later than normal sitting down to have food she didn't have any need for after food. What she did do was have some sambos in the bar afterwards for those staying. It was a lovely touch.
Sheep Posts: 626
I went to a wedding where there was a buffet meal last year and wasn't impressed. They had chicken curry for the main meal which according to the meat eaters (I am vegetarian) was the most disgusting curry they had tasted in their lives. For me being vegetarian there was no hot option at all (and it would have been appreciated as it was the middle of winter!). All that was there for the vegetarians was pasta salad which was bland and tasteless and hardly any veg in it. I don't think anyone minded getting up for the food though and it gave people a chance to mingle and have conversations in the queue. I would just say be careful about the quality of the food because it will be remembered!!!
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
[quote="Caca milis":17cg6rhd]Not sure if this should be in feedback or old faithful...!! H2b and I are trying to cut costs BIG TIME and we have thought about having a buffet instead of sit down meal. There will be turkey n ham, beef stroginoff (sp) or chicken dish, rice, baked potato and 3 salads. We can pick any desert and this is served to the table. We wouldnt have a starter tho. We can save €10 per person doing this!!! Anyone been to a wedding where there was a buffet or have you heard any reports of a buffet wedding??? Is it bad to expect our guests to que for their food??[/quote:17cg6rhd] That sounds very similar to my own menu! We are having buffet as well, and I occasionally have a panick attack over whether people think it's "scabby" but the way I see is is I am not getting married so I can give 300 people a fancy dinner, I am getting married because I love my h2b. The hotel will have two "stations" and I am going to ask them to call the tables up two at a time so as not to have a stampede. I am serving the wedding cake with tea or coffee as dessert
Caca milis Posts: 68
Thks for the replies, the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a buffet. Guest list is at 230 at the mo and we just cannot get it down any further witout offending ppl. I have always wanted the big wedding anyway and it breaks my heart to think that I cant have it now because of this stipid recession....lost my job by the way hence the reason for the cut backs. We are even thinking of not even having a honeymoon now incase I cant get work. :o( :o(
the winner Posts: 4148
Aww sorry to hear u lost your job. Go for it... If one of my friends was doing this Id tell them exactly the same. If our hotel had the option Im sure I would be doing it too.. Shera had a buffett and she thought it was fab .. so go for it :D *) *)
bride0807 Posts: 203
I have been to two weddings where there was a buffet menu, one was absolutely fabulous and the other was terrible. from the sounds of your menu it sounds like it will be lovely, as their is plenty of choice...and i really like the idea of going up and choosing what you want or having a bit of everything as i like to do!!!! i would just make sure that there will be plenty of food and im sure it will be just as nice as any sit down meal the one wedding where it was bad, only had one hot dish and the salads ran out before the third table (out of 20 tables) got up to the buffet. it was a disgrace but i think it only cost the couple €15 per person which IMO is quite stingy when people are giving you generous gifts
marriedLife Posts: 1881
I don't think I would mind if a wedding I went to served a buffet instead of a sit down meal. Once the quality of the food is good thats the main thing. I know with buffets you are limited to certain foods because logistics of keeping it warm etc.. (well this is what I have found from organising parties for work / family) so just make sure you cover all guests with your food choices such as the older crowd etc.. that mightn't like curries. To be honest though if I was organising it for myself though I don't think I would choose a buffet option if it was only €10 less than a sit down - I would expect it to be alot cheaper than €10 a head. To be honest if it was only 10 euro a head difference I would reduce numbers and give a sit down meal instead. But as I said I would have no problem attending a wedding that did a buffet I just think that if it was only an extra €10 a head I would cut costs in other areas and have a sit down meal. I would defo rather reduce numbers or reduce cost in another area to make up the 10 euro a head. Another point to remember is you normally have about 20% refusal - so is your 230 number how many your inviting or how many you will think will come? We have 210 on our list but expecting about 175 to 180. The only thing I would be worried about though is the logistics of 230 people queuing for food and how long this would take??
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
[quote="bride0807":2f23tex2] it was a disgrace but i think it only cost the couple €15 per person which IMO is quite stingy when people are giving you generous gifts[/quote:2f23tex2] God don't say that as mine is costing €15 a head and I will end up having a panick attack over it! I am providing guests with as much wine as they will be able for so I don't think I am being stingy? :-8 . I would have hoped that people will want to come because they are happy for me and h2b and if they want to compare their gift to the meal I am giving them then I will hope and pray they don't come at all!!!
Ficidy Posts: 1753
We're having a buffet (well a bbq and buffet) and I have every faith in the fact that it will be delicious. I think if the quality of the food is good then it's actually better than a sit-down meal as they can get quite repetitive wedding after wedding. Go for the buffet - it sounds lovely!