Buggies cheaper up north?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MotherNature Posts: 317
Girls, we're just back from a bit of window shopping for a pram/travel system type thing. We were both really impressed with the M&P Pliko Pramette. We were told that the whole thing, plus the baby seat and a base, would be 740 euro. Anyway, just doing a bit of a google on the pram and found a site (not a plug for it, I swear) called [url:2c4p1nxp]http://www.babyunique.co.uk[/url:2c4p1nxp]. It it looks like we can get the pram, seat, base and footmuff for about a hundred euro cheaper by buying from a UK site. Has anyone any suggestions for where they've bought baby stuff up north or even in the UK for a good saving? The site says to email them regarding delivery charges for outside the UK, so obviously that would cut into the savings a bit, but it still might be worth it. The M&P catalogue gives euro and GBP prices, but their conversion rate seems bad towards the euro rate. I'd be interested to hear about anyone who found better prices than the ones being quoted here in the Rip Off Republic.
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Oh Mothernature I have been kinda thinking of the same thing and agree that the Sterling to Euro conversions seems kinda high especially in some stores alright. Would be very interested in feedback on shopping in the North. I wonder if those stores charge people in the North more as well as they have to ship the goods there or is it the the same Sterling price? They could be ripped off there too!!
Mrs J Posts: 387
Haven't priced anything in the South and took a very lazy approach to shopping around up here (Belfast) (just went to one shop) - we've ordered a Britax travel system (Vigour) - car seat, carry cot and buggy and it costs £470stg . Sorry can't be of any more assistance but it may work out a little cheaper...
luigi Posts: 867
Shipping from some of those UK stores to Northern Ireland can be anything up to 40stg so there's not much of a saving. You'd be better coming up here and buying from a store here really. When do you need it for? I could help you if you like as i'm in the North.
soup Posts: 37
Hi Girls I'm from the north myself but my Mum lives in a border town so I'm down south often. Recently I did some windowshopping in shops down south and I found them far more expensive compared to the prices I have been quoted in mothercare, toys r us (babies r us), smyths toys etc for both prams, cots etc I got a price for the quinny buzz travel system in the north it works out at £500 sterling in mothercare and if you order online you get discount, the same travel system in a shop down south - privately owned, they quoted me over 1000 euro!!! Complete rip off!! Even with the conversion into sterling!!! You could always drive to Belfast and pick up your items?? its only a 2.5 hour drive - Newry might be handy for you's but I not sure if they have many baby shops.... goodluck!!
Tedsters Posts: 1688
Soup thanks a mil for that feedback.
MotherNature Posts: 317
We drove up on Sunday but everything was closed! Yikes! Had a list of shops in Belfast we wanted to visit, but the only one that was open was MotherCare. We'll have to do a run up again on a Saturday. So just a heads-up for anyone else interested in price comparissons.
Mrs Lucy06 Posts: 929
There is Toys r us outside belfast which is meant to be good value for money, worth checking out, they open on a sunday, check out there website for directions!!! HTH Lucy
Trish07 Posts: 506
I bought my travel system from this crowd last year http://www.babydaysdirect.co.uk/ We saved about 150euro for the whole travel system and delivery was about 30euro.
Trish07 Posts: 506
I bought my travel system from this crowd last year http://www.babydaysdirect.co.uk/ We saved about 150euro for the whole travel system and delivery was about 30euro.