Bumper sets for cribs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybliss Posts: 437
I read about the bumpers for cots / cribs and there seem to be so much conflicting information out there… I am planning to put the little one in a crib in our bedroom, but not sure if I should get a bumper set for it or not. I think it might be little cozier for the little one, but don’t want to take any risks. What are your opinions, are you getting a bumper sets?
sept09baby Posts: 1094
I got one for the crib. Was thinking of getting ribbon and securing the bottom of it tight. Hope that works anyway
neeov Posts: 4256
I'd leave it. Baby can get caught up in them or have his or her face too close and impact breathing. I also think its nice for baby to be able to see you from the crib and the bumper would get in the way. I also want to be able o see baby from the bed without having to get up, again the bumper would hide baby. They are cute though.
islandfun Posts: 3054
I wasn't going to get one as I thought they might be dangerous but he kept stretching out his arms and hopping them off the side of the bars. It's on one side only and very securely fastened I have had no trouble atall with it. The other side then I have a small cellular blanket rolled up as he was hitting that side too with his hands and that way I can still see him from my bed.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
had read they were dangerous for newborns but would look pretty on cot when baby is not in it, so i would take it off when baby in cot.
babybliss Posts: 437
I think I won't get any bumpes yet and see how I get on. I saw them in the shops and they look so cute, but sounds like they are not necassary, so won't be getting them quite yet :thnk
djdee Posts: 2118
i bought bumpers and am sorry I did now. I wont be having them on the cot when baby is in it. Wouldnt want to risk anything. Complete waste of money. :o(
ellee Posts: 666
Hmm, yeah, mid wives at our ante natal class on Sat were agaisnt them too, i guess sids danger for v small babies? Prob ok for larger ones?