Bus

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FinallyMrsM Posts: 899
My reception location is situated 3 miles from the nearest town, it is in a National Trust Estate. I was thinking of putting on a bus for the end of the night to the nearest town (which is where we live). Trouble is I have got a quote which isn't too bad but I don't really know how many people will avail of this and would it be cheeky to have the bus there but to ask everyone to pay per head to get onto it? My logic is they'd only have to pay a taxi dearer etc. Also how do I let the guests know that the bus is available beforehand? Oh decisions decisions.. this is a nightmare O:| O:| O:|
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
my instinct is that if a bus is provided people will expect it to be free so if you are organising it I don't think you can charge. would you not leave it to each group to organise their own transportation?
spaced2012 Posts: 275
i'm planning putting on a bus and guests will pay a fare to driver as they board. Its about 20km from the nearest big town with lots of hotel/B&B options and can do drop offs on the way for those that live/staying on the route. it saves hassle of trying to get lots of taxis out there and charging more. I intend to put it on 'other information' with invitations and considering asking on the RSVP if bus will be needed. also thinking of having the bus run out at 8.30 with some evening guests too as its not that much more. ive been at weddings where we got a bus after and paid for it when journey was much less - 3-5km and didnt mind at all.
clover86 Posts: 15
We're putting on a bus for our guests too as most of my family and the OH family live 26-30km away, going to do it free as I think they would just expect it to be honest as it has been done for other family weddings. Like yourself I don't know how many will avail of it so I was just going to put a little note in on the invitation, advising of the bus but ask them to come back and advise for numbers etc maybe 2 weeks before the wedding for final booking etc.
craigsmrs Posts: 341
[quote="morningsun":piu6tnu1]my instinct is that if a bus is provided people will expect it to be free so if you are organising it I don't think you can charge. would you not leave it to each group to organise their own transportation?[/quote:piu6tnu1] Huge +1 , I really think if youre not paying for it then dont organise it. Ive never been to a wedding where ive been asked to pay as I board & to be honest id really think itd come across a bit cheeky maybe even mean if I did. Re taxis costing more, yeah they do, but you can choose the time u leave etc and arent tied to a bus time. Were providing a bus for our guests to and from and we'll pay for it.
christmasbride2012 Posts: 478
Friends of ours did this for their wedding too. They paid for it and asked on the invites who would be availing of it. I think it cost them about €300. On the night of the wedding, 3 people got on the bus despite 30 saying they'd use it!! It was still €300!! My advice would be to allow people make their own way home or if you are providing a bus, people will expect it to be paid for.
newlywed0912 Posts: 734
Yes i think if you are providing a bus, ppl will expect it to be free! its only 3 miles, let ppl make their own arrangements, dont be worrying about it
craigsmrs Posts: 341
[quote="septbride12":2siozd6y]Yes i think if you are providing a bus, ppl will expect it to be free! its only 3 miles, let ppl make their own arrangements, dont be worrying about it[/quote:2siozd6y] I agree, u really shouldnt worry about it, I totally missed the distance! Definitely let people make their own way, wouldnt cost much more than €15 in a taxi and divide that among a few n its little r nothing.. Id put the money to something else n forget all about it! Ours is a good 45mins so we need a bus but I wouldnt if it was only a short distance, just make sure the taxi numbers are on hand :)
FinallyMrsM Posts: 899
I think I might do the bus but just pay for it. I'm glad of the comments as I had been thinking it was a bit cheeky. The bus is only costing a small amount. You see like I said I'm getting married in a national trust park and there is wildlife around the area, also there are gates into it and someone would have to be opening and closing the gate all night. I also couldn't forgive myself if there was an accident with a deer or something. I realise people may leave early and all but I'd rather be sure everyone is out and everything's ok when we leave.
smily2012 Posts: 107
wewe are debating this too, incase no one uses it. Has anyone got a bus company they would recommend :o)ll