buy/rent suits? paying for them?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Leigh Posts: 188
Hi all H2B went to look at suits last week with best man. They saw one rental one in Blacktie that they liked but they then saw another one in Next to buy that they preferred. I think it will be very expensive to buy all the suits (6) as i assume the bride and groom pay for the suits? I think it was working out at about 100e to rent and about 220e to buy. Has anyone done this and what are your opinions on it? H2B is now reluctant to rent :duh: Thanks
craigsmrs Posts: 341
We bought our suits, We needed 7 & most places were opening to cut us a deal with the exception of one store in Blanch which I wont name, but its safe to say I wouldnt but a pair of socks off them for their lack of customer service skills.. Anyway, it was €1800 for the 7 suits, 6shirts & 6ties, now they are very nice wool suits & they are the groomsmens presents too. Ive seen them online for £270 sterling per suit alone! So we got a really decent deal ! Id recommend Moss in Liffey Valley or Savoy Taylors Guild in Kildare Village, both the same company. Both open to negotiation, and offered us discount for the amount we were buying. Moss also do suit hire & there hire suits are quite nice as well. we paid for the lads suits, I think if you choose what someone wears then you should pay, but thats just my opinion.
BloomingField Posts: 27
I wouldn't compare the suit in Next with the one from Black Tie. There are far better places to rent from than Black Tie. I would suggest doing a bit more research before you decide. €100 for a suit from Black Tie is pretty bad value given the quality. Whatever you decide you should pay. You can't expect your grooms men to buy a new suit for the wedding, particularly if you want them in a particular suit.
newlywed0912 Posts: 734
why dont you just buy the grooms suit and rent the groomsmen suits. thats what my H2b is doing :)
Niamh2012 Posts: 312
h2b had heard a few bad stories about black tie so just be careful he went to ab formal wear in swords and got a great deal might be worth checking out
flomeo Posts: 249
We are buying the suits as gifts- h2b bought his a while back and we are looking now for ones for bestman and gm and the 2 dads. The boys are just wearing smart navy suits with ordinary ties, no tails or striped trousers or that carry on so buying makes more sense for us. Its a great gift as opposed to the usual hipflask/cufflinks (none of the bridal party would have any use for either) and we will get suits for about 180 each and renting seemed to be about 120. We are looking in the west of ireland and have pretty much picked where we will buy them so if you want a recomm in that area let me know. Marks do a pretty good Italian line as well if its just plain sharp suits ye are after
the farmer wants a wife Posts: 334
[quote="craigsmrs":33il491l]We bought our suits, We needed 7 & most places were opening to cut us a deal with the exception of one store in Blanch which I wont name, but its safe to say I wouldnt but a pair of socks off them for their lack of customer service skills.. Anyway, it was €1800 for the 7 suits, 6shirts & 6ties, now they are very nice wool suits & they are the groomsmens presents too. Ive seen them online for £270 sterling per suit alone! So we got a really decent deal ! Id recommend Moss in Liffey Valley or Savoy Taylors Guild in Kildare Village, both the same company. Both open to negotiation, and offered us discount for the amount we were buying. Moss also do suit hire & there hire suits are quite nice as well. we paid for the lads suits, I think if you choose what someone wears then you should pay, but thats just my opinion.[/quote:33il491l] + 1 ask for mark in savoy taylors Guild in Kildare Village- he is absolutely brilliant and the suits are second to none
LittleLily Posts: 3682
[quote="the farmer wants a wife":uh29td90]+ 1 ask for mark in savoy taylors Guild in Kildare Village- he is absolutely brilliant and the suits are second to none[/quote:uh29td90] + 2 Savoy Tailors Guild are fantastic. Cannot beat the customer service. They got 2 pairs of trousers sent over from England for us, the second one was required after the first size we requested turned out to be too big (our fault but they fixed it up for us without any hassle) The prices are already good already and then you can negotiate with them too. We got the groomsmens suits for $150 and my Dad got a tuxedo there for $150 which he has already worn 3 times! Ye wouldn't have hired one, three times for that price
sarahstrikes Posts: 214
While I would love to have the money to buy the suits for the boys, We went with black tie to hire our suits. Hubby to be was really happy with the quality and we got 5 suits (tails and waistcoats) and 2 page boys for €540. My hubby to be didn't want to go with normal suits as he wears suits every day for work so he wanted to go with the tails look. I was delighted he didnt buy them as the last wedding we were at he was best man and him, the groom, and the groomsmen all decided it would be great craic to see how far they could slide along the dance floor on their bellys. Suits were ruined but a good night had by all. :yelrotflmaosmilie:
mrswifey2012 Posts: 2042
We're going to rent. We were thinking of going down the buying route as it seemed more reasonable but we discovered when you add a tie, shirt, shoes etc. to all that, it actually was working out quite expensive. Black Tie was one of the places we went into and I found the service and suits really crap! It was the first shop we went into and the young lad put H2B in a suit that didn't fit him after measuring him!! Needless to say, we won't be going with them...