Buying a buggy in the States?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

catfish Posts: 124
Has anyone done this and not had a child with them on the flight! I'm off on a shopping trip and thinking of getting a buggy over there as they are so much cheaper. Will I be looked at like a freak checking in on my return with a buggy and no child!?
CherylC Posts: 1071
I doubt anyone else would notice or care. Only thng is I guess it would have to count as one of your two checked bags though - you can bring a buggy for free if you have a child/infant but not sure on the policy otherwise. Maybe check with the airline if you'll have more than one other bag!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Would you be sure it's cheaper? I live in Canada and we're nearly on par with the US dollar and I'm seeing better offers posted on here from Ireland. By the time you add in potential extra baggage charges, possible customs charges etc it could end up costing more. One other thing that might come up, make sure you don't buy a car seat in the US. Their safety standards are different. I've heard stories of people in Canada buying theirs in the US and them being confiscated at the border because the US safety standards are not as high as here. I assume Europe would be similar.
[quote="CherylC":3c587j2v]I doubt anyone else would notice or care. Only thng is I guess it would have to count as one of your two checked bags though - you can bring a buggy for free if you have a child/infant but not sure on the policy otherwise. Maybe check with the airline if you'll have more than one other bag![/quote:3c587j2v] :-8 Brain function isn't great today, this is what I meant. Does anyone know airline regualtions for adding a buggy as baggy with no child for the actual allowance. I have checked the aerlingus website and it just says that long haul flights buggys are free of charge. LIttlelily , I was looking at the Phil & Teds Navigator with a free double carrier , €389 and here it's 549 for the buggy alone. I wasn't going to buy any extra's I was thinking of just getting them here as the prices seem to be the same.
barneyrubble Posts: 252
They do work out cheaper but by the time customs are factored in there's not much difference, if any. If you were caught for customs
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Have you tried the UK? I got my Phil and ted there last time but having said that I was going there anyway. Still worked out 100 euro cheaper tho.
katiemomma Posts: 2690
My friend from uk lives in Ireland and when she went to uk to visit family she bought a buggy and brought it back with her on Ryan air flight. Now the lady wanted to charge her something crazy for the extra weight so I would be careful. Everyone asked where the babies were as she had bought a double buggy. She explained she was pregnant. In the end they gave it to her for free but really she should have paid as its only when you have a child with you that the buggies are free. I guess it can be checked as one of your normal bags if it comes within the weight and size restrictions. I do imagine though that coming back from the US is a lot stricter though. I know a lot of twin and triplet parents that order their buggies from the US and pay the extra custom charges but that's because there is very little choice in Ireland if you have multiple births.
Ended up getting a Phil & Teds explorer, it cost 275 euro and paid 50 to get it on the plane. The same buggy us 525 in mothercare! Delighted with myself ☺