Buying baby items?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
Hi all, just wondering when did you all start to buy baby items, such as nappies to stock up on, creams, sheets etc etc. All the things you actually need a few of? Also what brand of nappies did you find best and how what size did you start off on, I know it depends on the baby size but to be on the safe side should you just buy a few packs of newborn and then a few packs of size1 or what???? :wv
pag Posts: 633
I got a few packets of water wipes and some size 1 nappies when I was packing my bags around 32wks but that was all. Later I got travel pack of Burts Bees baby toiletries and used the shampoo/wash in that. I didn't use any other toiletries on her. We used huggies cause got a sample box in size 1. I think we had a few packets of the size 1 nappies at home (as in 2/3 max) and one packet of size 2. DD was 8lbs at birth but lost weight and the size ones fitted her for weeks and weeks. I don't think we got newborn size at all. Look at the weights on them and anything above 7lbs is probably best. If you need the lower weight ones you can get them or get someone to get them. We aren't nappy snobs at all - usually get which ever brand is on sale but that's probably because DD doesn't have any issues with any brand so we can swop and change. Maybe get a few packets of each. I don't think that lidl/aldi do the smaller sizes so you are left with the main brands and perhaps pharmacy brand too. Sheets were got around 35wks when we got the crib - hadn't anything previous to that.
Thanks pag its great to get an idea on all these things
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Aldi do sizes 1 & 2 now - I spotted them at the weekend!!
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
My friend had a baby about 7 weeks ago- tried pampers, huggies and aldi nappies and said she found alidi's the best!! Followed by huggies
justwed09 Posts: 2349
[quote="AmandaMc":2c9kwdef]My friend had a baby about 7 weeks ago- tried pampers, huggies and aldi nappies and said she found alidi's the best!! Followed by huggies[/quote:2c9kwdef] i started around 20 week mark picking up things on offer in dunnes like box of sensitive wipes for 9 euro, 2 for 1 on nappes etc. i use aldi now all the time, find them the best and now they do newborn so i wont have to get pampers on this one! re sheets, a tip my friend gave me which wa great was to make sure you have 3 or 4 diffferent sheets in the hot press fo ryour own bed, if your lo spews up a lot in the middle of the night when you feeding him/her, trying to find clean sheets can be a nightmare at 4 am so i kept 2 in my wardrobe and knew where they were if i needed them. dont think i ever did but at least they were there. same with baby crib sheets. i kept a spare one in my locker!
pag Posts: 633
[quote="ohsotired":1jbp5sns]Aldi do sizes 1 & 2 now - I spotted them at the weekend!![/quote:1jbp5sns] Really!! that's brilliant cause these sizes are soooooo expensive.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
[quote="pag":zdr8xa0f][quote="ohsotired":zdr8xa0f]Aldi do sizes 1 & 2 now - I spotted them at the weekend!![/quote:zdr8xa0f] Really!! that's brilliant cause these sizes are soooooo expensive.[/quote:zdr8xa0f] They sure do! I was pointing outo the various bits to DH at the weekend that we'll be able to buy in Aldi and they had sizes 1 & 2 with a big 'new' sign above them!
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I didnt get anything until after 25 weeks. From then on I started to pick things up as they were on offer, napoies, pipes, cotton wool, steriliser, bottles, etc In relation to sheets, I use flat single bed sheets for both the cot bed& travel cot. A lot cheaper than cot sheet and you'll get more years out of them. I got 2 packets of nappies in size 1, 2 of size 2 and 2 in size 3. Wanted to have a good supply.
This is super girls thanks so much, just trying to pick up as we go along and then wont be a major rush or expense on at the last minute....I must buy a pack or two of the aldi ones so....Thanks a mill