C-Section Anaesthetic Question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I'm just trying to cover off all bases. I don't want to have a section but if I need one what are my options when it comes to anaesthetic? I didn't have a happy experience of the epi the last time. It worked but it took about 20mins to get it in. I won't go into the details but it was the most traumatic thing I have ever gone through and will not go through it again unnecessarily. The anaesthist (sp) blamed me on having good posture (yeah right!) and not being able to get the needle through my vertebrae so I'm sure it's a problem I will have again if I ever get the epi. If I need a section do I have to get an epi or is there another option for me? I will discuss this with the hospital when I go back but I'd like to be armed with some info myself before I go in.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Hi I asked this after my 2nd section as my back completely caved in after (i have a bad back anyway) and my obs told me they would put me under Anaesthetic if I really wanted but that it was much more serious than having the epi and it would be a last resort. But the option is there HTH www.hipbaby.ie
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
God is that the only other option :o( Don't fancy being asleep throughout the whole proceedure and missing the birth. Hopefully it's not something I need be concerned about but I will defo have to discuss it with the hospital next week to put my mind at ease.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
Sister had a spinal block rather than an epidural as she really didnt want epidural, they are simillar but not the same. She was fully awake etc for the birth HTH *)
goingmad Posts: 657
I'm going to be a section for sure & I'm really thinking about being knocked out. I've heard so many horror stories about the epi that I really don't want to do it. Also the anisthetic can be so light that you're fully awake 10 mins later - I've been knocked out so many times theres nothing to it so don't worry.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Is a spinal block not the same as an epi? i thought it was just a fancier name as I know they told me that was what I was getting with DD2 but it was still a needle into my back? www.hipbaby.ie
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
[quote="hipbaby":1umv0bps]Is a spinal block not the same as an epi? i thought it was just a fancier name as I know they told me that was what I was getting with DD2 but it was still a needle into my back? www.hipbaby.ie[/quote:1umv0bps] apparently not cos mam was in with her and sister was asked which one she wanted epidural or spinal block.....really hope their not the same cos I reallly dont want an epidural :ooh ETA its still a needle into your back but not the same drugs in it or something??
Maxi-Babe Posts: 327
[quote="goingmad":2zdy9c6y]I'm going to be a section for sure & I'm really thinking about being knocked out. I've heard so many horror stories about the epi that I really don't want to do it. Also the anisthetic can be so light that you're fully awake 10 mins later - I've been knocked out so many times theres nothing to it so don't worry.[/quote:2zdy9c6y] Please give this decision some thought before you make up your mind... I had an elective section (HATE that term) due v bad back problems. They tried to do a spinal block and this did not work. I was told before the birth that an epi would not have worked due to the damage to my back, but that they would try a spinal block. Apparently they are different, but the procedure for both is the same IYKWIM. Anyway, the spinal block did not work and I had to have a gen aneasthetic. I think I knew deep down throught the pregnancy that this was going to happen, but I was very disappointed anyway. Whilst I know my DS had to come out some way and the most important thins was he was ok, I found being knocked out very upsetting. I woke up about an hour after he was born, but the time I got back up to my room it was nearly an hour and a half after he was born. I was still very groggy and I barely remember him being handed to me, I was totally out of it. I completley missed the moment everyone talks about of a brand new baby being placed on a mother's chest and to this day it still upsets me. I actually feel cheated. I know I had no other option as baby had to be born safely but I really feel I missed out on such an important part of the whole thing. It upsets me to this day and I feel that it did effect me bonding with DS at the beginning. I basically went asleep, I woke up and someone handed me a baby! I also felt very bad for DH. When you are knocked out, your partner cannot be in the room, so he missed the birth also. So that might be worth keeping in mind. My DH got to clean DS and dress him so they had their moment that way, but there is no escaping the fact that he missed the birth of his first child. We are not planning on having no2 for some time, but I am really going to try and have a natural birth. I don't care about my back, I really want the experience of actually 'being there' when the baby is born.
theoracle Posts: 7664
From wiki: it seems spinal is injected and epi is administered through a tube, spinal into the celebral fluid and epi into the epidural space: [i:1fq9hjlo]The term epidural is often short for epidural anesthesia, a form of regional anesthesia involving injection of drugs through a catheter placed into the epidural space. The injection can cause both a loss of sensation (anaesthesia) and a loss of pain (analgesia), by blocking the transmission of signals through nerves in or near the spinal cord. The epidural space (or extradural space or peridural space) is a part of the human spine. It is the space inside the bony spinal canal but outside the membrane called the dura mater (sometimes called the "dura"). In contact with the inner surface of the dura is another membrane called the arachnoid mater ("arachnoid"). The arachnoid encompasses the cerebrospinal fluid that surrounds the spinal cord. Spinal anaesthesia is a technique whereby a local anaesthetic drug is injected into the cerebrospinal fluid. This technique has some similarity to epidural anaesthesia, and the two techniques may be easily confused with each other.[/i:1fq9hjlo]
pattie Posts: 2379
For an elective section the spinal block is the more common anaesthetic AFAIK. That's what I had with DD. They numb your back and it's a really quick injection, it must surely be less fiddly than having an epidural. It wears off after a few hours. I had no problems with it, it was the drip into the back of my hand I remember as being really painful!