C-Section list for hopsital

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

janedoe Posts: 72
Does anyone have a list of what to bring to the hospital if you're having a c-section? I assume it's just most of what you would normally bring but in larger quantities. Thanks.
pattie Posts: 2379
Off the top of my head I'd say pretty much no difference except you don't need the enormous maternity pads, a few will come in handy though if you put them over your scar. You'd get away with a pack of regular sanitary towels. I had very little bleeding and I've heard others say the same. In terms of the other stuff you could bring in enough for maybe 2 days then get your DH to bring home laundry and bring in more supplies. If you're into homeopathy you can take both arnica and bellis perennis, arnica is for bruising which you have around the scar internally and bp for healing after surgery, there's one for the baby blues too, I can't remember the name of it. If you're BF'g a Bf'g pillow is supposed to be good for padding over your scar while feeding. I found nightdresses better than pjs for wearing afterwards as they make you wear these thick surgical stockings till you leave and they're very warm, you wouldn't want pjs over them.
rushinbride Posts: 1097
hey off the top of my head, really big nana cotton knickers....that go well above the belly button... so they won't rub or irrate your scar. plenty of pads, cos the nurse will be changing them for a day or 2 and they tend to put on more than necessary (as in 2 maternity pads at once) but will depend on your flow... also a pj bottoms that is softly elasticated but reaches well above belly button...as high up as possible cos during night they make their way down a bit and dig into scar...if you'd feel comfortable in nightdresses...i'd say stick to that but personally i can't wear nighties i'm just too weird... I'd say a really nice shower gel also but something that will not irrate your scar (something really sensitive but smells nice to make you feel a bit nicer...iykwim) a cushion for driving home for your lap cos seat belt will irrate your wound... with regards to baby just extra vests and babygros...but seriously dont' pack all the above in one bag just have 2 bags one to be brought in a day or 2 later depending on how long your in for after section. plenty of books...magazines...mp3...etc.... and oh my god all that was off the top of my head....if i sat down to think i'd say i'd right a book...i can't remember most cause its been nearly 7 yrs...
rushinbride Posts: 1097
yea i agree with you pattie about not needing the maternity pads...but i know my flow after was very very heavy...and a friend of mine that had a section last yr said her flow was just like a heavy period...so i suppose it depends on the person...with pads i think its better to be safe than sorry tho!! also i never had the privelage of getting those surgicial stockings!! how long is that in?? i'd nearly chance the nightie if thats the case!!
That's a great help - thanks all.
pattie Posts: 2379
I don't know when the stockings came in, I think everyone who has surgery has to wear them now, I know my mum had to wear them when she had a lump removed a couple of years ago. They're hideous and kind of roll down your thighs all the time so you have a big bulge of flab over the top, lovely! Taking off those stockings for good was one of the highlights of getting out of hospital for me! The feet of them get all grubby too and I was trying to wash them in the wash-hand basin as they only give you the one pair but you can't get them white. Actually now that I think of it some big pairs of fluffy socks would be good to wear over the stockings, keep them respectable. Ugh! Edited to add for janedoe that you should get your bikini line done before you go in too as otherwise they shave and it will grow back itchy. you don't need a Brazilian, just the top 2-3 inches. And make sure you're fingernails and toenails are unpainted.
mad woman Posts: 22106
get the paper knickers in boots, the ones that go over your belly.
Had been wondering about the waxing as well so that's good to know. Same for the nail polish. Thanks.