C Section Mums i need advice....

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

pd2 Posts: 85
Hi Ladies, I am schedualed to have a c section for my 2nd pregnancy and am clueless, im hoping some of you may be able to ans a few questions for me. Tks in advance.. Im just wondering for those of you whom have had babies all ready by c section what is the norm. By the way im in Galway. By this i mean..... 1. When were you brought into hospital? (Was it on the day or the night before) and if the night before what was the reason for this? 2. What's the normal length of stay in hospital? (This is 2nd Baby but 1st c section) 3. Should my hospital bag have any extras to a normal delivery? 4. When going down for the c section do i just bring vest, babygro, and hat for babs, and leave everything else in room? 5. Whats the norn in Galway epidural, or spinal block for elective section? 6. Do the nurses take the baby from you on the 1st night or any night after? Im sure there are 101 more questions sitting on my tongue, but if anyone out there know 's the answers to these i would be so greatful, and maybe any other info that may be of use to me. thanks ladies. O-O
Pomerol Posts: 95
Just saw that you've no replies so I'll try and answer from my experience. Mine wansnt a normal cs as i was in hospital being monitored beforehand. However, in terms of hospital bag, its pretty much the same as a normal delivery. The only thing i'd recommend is big comfy knickers!!!!!!! you need them to go right over your scar. I bought full black briefs in pennys and they were the best ever. Sent my mum out to buy me more and she bought me some in m&s and dunnes but they were no way as comfy as pennys! You need to wear them for weeks after as anything near the section line will really irritate you. When we went down to theatre we brought babygro, nappy and vest. The hospital lent us a baby hat as the one we had was way too big. A little tip for you as well. I was bringing a gorgeous new little babygro with me and one of the midwifes said to me "where are you going with that gorgeous little jasper conran babygro. The baby is going to be full of mucous and blood so you need a cheap old babygro"!! It was good advice! Just also to mention that it took me the full 6 weeks before i felt anyway normal. It is major surgery so you are going to be alot soorer afterwards. So take any painkillers they offer you. Best of luck and enjoy it! Despite a bit of discomfort, its a magical experience!
Piggle Posts: 1770
Hey hun, oh wow! Best of luck! Ok Il answer from my experience. mine was an elective as baby was breech! 1. When were you brought into hospital? (Was it on the day or the night before) and if the night before what was the reason for this?[b:m8u1bwa5] I was brought in on the day. Fasting from 12 oclock! Was in at 7am and was sectioned at 12pm[/b:m8u1bwa5] 2. What's the normal length of stay in hospital? (This is 2nd Baby but 1st c section)[color=#BF0040:m8u1bwa5] I was in for four nights[/color:m8u1bwa5] 3. Should my hospital bag have any extras to a normal delivery?[color=#BF0040:m8u1bwa5] I think I had less because its like going in for an op now rather than a marathon! :) [/color:m8u1bwa5] 4. When going down for the c section do i just bring vest, babygro, and hat for babs, and leave everything else in room? [b:m8u1bwa5]yeah thats all you need! They just put a babygro and hat on! [/b:m8u1bwa5] 5. Whats the norn in Galway epidural, or spinal block for elective section?[color=#BF0040:m8u1bwa5] I was in CUMH and it was a spinal block! [/color:m8u1bwa5] 6. Do the nurses take the baby from you on the 1st night or any night after? [color=#BF0040:m8u1bwa5]They took him from me the first night! [/color:m8u1bwa5] I was so nervous going in, I was nearly getting sick. But honestly it wasnt very sore! Afterwards it was sore but bearable, take all the meds they offer you and more and don't stop taking them when you go home. Stay on top of the painkillers and you will be fine! It really is amazing! Best of luck :lvs :lvs
mrs doll Posts: 199
hi i was induced and after hours and hours had to go for a c-section so cant answer about the coming in the night before. a c-section is still a serious abdominal surgery so i would expect the normal 4-5days after even if it is your second. i would second the big granny pants from pennies nothing like them. for when your coming out just remember jeans are very rough on the scar so a softer pants plus my wound got very sore if i got cold my mother told me at the time to put a maternity pad up against it in side my underware to keep it warm and it worked. for the labour ward the same as any other delivery vest babygrow and hat and camera!! if you are still numb i think the nurses do take the baby beca use you cant get up to feed the baby but if you want to breastfeed make sure you tell them to bring the baby to you for feeds. the midwives are usually very helpful my dd was in neonatal for a few days but even when she came up to the ward the midwives told me that if i needed a break they could put her in the nursery turned out she was a dream baby hope you have one too. most of all remember you are getting surgery so give yourself plenty of time to recover a lot of people say "oh just a c-section" but your body needs to recover so take it easy and enjoy your new baby the best of luck.