CABBAGE HEAD - I need your help!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
Bonjour! My cousin got an A in her French GSCE and I want to write something in a card like, Well done Rebecca and Congratulations! Could you translate for me s'il vous plait? Or give me a cute little phrase to say? Merci beaucoup!! :thnk :wv :thnk
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Mais bien sûr Michelle! OK, so first off, "congratulations" is "félicitations!" The Frenchiest word in the world for "well done" is "chapeau!" Yes, this does mean "hat", but when it's said or written with an exclamation mark, it means "I take my hat off to you". They also say "bravo!" a lot. If you want to say "I'm delighted for you" you can say "je suis ravie pour toi", or "I'm (very) proud of you" is "je suis (très) fière de toi". If you want to say something really, really colloquial, you can say "t'as assuré comme une bête!" which literally means "you mastered it like a beast" :o0 but the equivalent in English would be "you rocked" or "you kicked ass". To sign off, say "bisous" - it means "kisses", and this is they way all friends / family members sign off on friendly cards etc. Hope that helps! **edited for comical typo :-8
LastRolo Posts: 6892
Wow - I would love to have another language! Txt speak not included :o0
MichelleMyBelle Posts: 1270
Wow, you're sooooooooo French! :o0 Thanks a million for your help. I've always had a weird fascination with all things French and would LOVE to learn the language - I never get round to finding a good course though! Thanks so much xxx
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Ah no problem, any time :thnk After neary half a decade living here (yikes just scared myself :eek ) I'd want to have picked up the aul lingo :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
jamjars Posts: 1721
Cabbage Head... I'm finding you very attractive right now... :o0 :o0
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
[quote="jamjars":1gquvct7]Cabbage Head... I'm finding you very attractive right now... :o0 :o0[/quote:1gquvct7] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
vidia Posts: 2960
[quote="FlexyDee":1pgvqzfw][quote="jamjars":1pgvqzfw]Cabbage Head... I'm finding you very attractive right now... :o0 :o0[/quote:1pgvqzfw] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:[/quote:1pgvqzfw] ;o) ;o) voulez vous coucher avec moi :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
[quote="wollybride":2pevwrc3][quote="FlexyDee":2pevwrc3][quote="jamjars":2pevwrc3]Cabbage Head... I'm finding you very attractive right now... :o0 :o0[/quote:2pevwrc3] :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:[/quote:2pevwrc3] ;o) ;o) voulez vous coucher avec moi :innocent: :innocent: :innocent:[/quote:2pevwrc3] :o0 :o0 :o0
jamjars Posts: 1721
Stop it ladies... you'll get me all hot and bothered... :hyper: :yelrotflmaosmilie: