Calling all you ladies who had fast labours on your first.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bananas28 Posts: 51
Hi all, :wv I'm a long time lurker here and finally decided to join up. I'm 11 weeks, due in March and super excited. Anyway, I saw a post a few days ago on M&K about the lenght of people's labours on their first and I couldn't get over the variation! I always thought that you were guaranteed to be in labour for 2 days on your first! But it seems like there was a substantial proportion of you who had quite fast labours ie. 12 hours or less. So basically I'm wondering was there any common denominator in these fast labours eg. Did u keep quite fit during ur pregnancy? Were u super relaxed when in labour? or is it all hereditary cause if that's the case I'm screwed! :o0 I'd just love to have a positive experience so i'm prepared to do anything I can along the way to help.
Tadpole Posts: 346
According to my hospital notes, I was in labour for 2 and a half hours, but there was probably another hour of labour, while I was at home. While pregnant, I did yoga and hypnobirthing, but whether the labour would have went so quickly had I not done those, who knows. But I do know if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant again, I'll do both again, if it's not broke don't fix it.
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hi there, well TBH I don't think there is 1 factor involved and there is the fact that it's sth you cannot control/predict. I do know however that family history can play a part in it. If say your mam had a fast labour, then you might do also. This wasn't true for me however, my mam had 'normal' length deliveries. I got pains at 4am, nothing definite. Suppose real contractions started at about 9.30am, had DS at 13.58. I dilated super fast and was ready to push, the midwife couldn't believe it when she checked me. DS was 2 weeks early too. Towards the end of the pg, I drank raspberry leaf tea, always went for a walk. That's it really. In the hosp, I sat on the bouncey ball all the time, only went onto the bed for the last 4/5 contractions and the pushing phase. I'm hoping for such a good experience this time round, not long to wait to find out. It could go the complete opposite this time tho. I think every women wishes for fast labours, no one wants a 2 day marathon ending in c-section scenario.
mrsroo Posts: 537
Hi Bananas28 and Welcome. On my notes its says i was in labour for 4.5 hrs, however they calculate this from 3cm's till baby out. I had stayed home in early stages of labour and if i counted from when i knew i was in labour then its porb more like 18 hrs :o0 hope that makes sense. I also tried to keep quite fit and did regular yoga and swimming. You should join us on the March thread :wv
Bananas28 Posts: 51
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. I'm planning on doing hypnobirthing but must start the yoga and abit of swimming. I'm so unfit and worried that will count against me. I suppose there is an element of pot luck in it too though but I prepared to try anything. My mam's labours were all quite difficult so I'm hoping I'm not lined up for that. I hope that it all goes well for ye this time around. :thnk
kopbabe Posts: 453
Hiya, I had quite a quick labour for first time. Took pains here bout midnight, waters broke at 2 in morning, was at hospital for 3, in labour ward for 6.45 when i was 3 cm dilated and babs was born at 10.15 in morning. I didnt do anything really. Took raspberry leaf tablets for last few days beforehand. People say it cud be cos I was always so sporty but I havnt exercised in bout year so dont no bout that. My mam had relatively quick births with us but not as quick on her first. Sorry I cant offer anything else.
Emomc Posts: 2069
My first baby was born in June and I was in active labour for 4.5 hours. I did keep fit during pregancy and walked every day. I also had regular reflexology throughout, acupuncture towards the end and drank raspberry tea from 7 weeks. I also did hypnobirthing which I cannot recommend highly enough. Oh and my DD was in no hurry-she was 11 days late :o0
Maria1983 Posts: 390
To be honest with you, I think it's down to luck. I can tell you what I did, but I didn't do anything different especially for the pregnancy, so there you go... Food-wise: I didn't change my diet (I got off caffeine as much as I could and alcohol and I couldn't eat beef and McDonalds because the baby didn't like it :o0 ) and I didn't have any cravings and I wasn't "eating for 2" so I barely put any weight on. Activity: my job is very active so I was on my feet as much as I could (I'm a manager in a large store) and I only went on maternity leave 2 weeks before my EDD and he came 10 days early. Pain relief: I refused to take any for contractions, delivery, stitches and post-delivery (my advice: unless you're like me, as in set on doing it all nature's way, TAKE THEM because it's a pain you never forget!) Antenatal classes: didn't take any, so I can't say I was preparing myself for labour or speeding it up because I didn't know how to. Mom: my mom didn't have a quick labour with either myself or my brother. In fact, it was also a bit complicated because both of us had the cord wrapped around our necks, whereas my son came out perfectly fine, kicking and screaming :o0 . So basically, as far as I think... it's all a matter of chance. Edited to say: my labour lasted for 7-8 hours from the first serious pain until the baby was born or 12 hours from the moment my water broke and he came 10 days early.
RJR Posts: 962
I had a super speedy labour on my first (and a week early too!) I was active throughout the pregnancy - swam quite a bit and worked right up to a couple of hours before labour (self employed) I also had raspberry leaf tea for the few weeks before and yoga for relaxation as well The big thing was hypnobirthing though, I was very relaxed. I did it with the Kerrigan Clinic. Like Maria1983 I refused all pain relief during and after labour (had a lovely quick recovery) I don't know what my mum's labours were like as she's passed away (and my dad is a typical man would be hard pressed to remember our birth days :o0 ) but my sister's was over 24hours...
fraggle rocker Posts: 1426
I had a 3 hour labour. Being honest I got very lazy in pregnancy and I didnt do as much exercise as I should have. I really think my ds weight(10lbs4.5) helped him come out faster and the attitude of he has to come out someway. I did have a good few baths in the few days before as my back was in so much pain.