Calling on the WOL domestic goddesses!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
I have a beautiful set of dark blue Christy sheets. I put them in the wash and they came out with these chalky marks all over them. I thought it was just because I was using inferior washing tablets and so I switched to gel tablets but they won't go away! Can anyone suggest a solution? (or even a reason for it to happen?)
gottabfp Posts: 5641
did you try drying them before you rewash??? or try washing them without any washing powder
ott Posts: 3920
Hmm, are they rinsing properly? Have you too much in the machine at one time? I find chalky marks on some of our clothes if I wash them in a cold wash so I need to rinse them a second time. I assume it's washing powder that hasn't rinsed out. Maybe if the machine is overloaded they're not rinsing properly?
The last time I washed them I had three sheets and 2 pillow cases in the machine. I've stopped using the powdery tablets altogether and switched to the gel. They've been washed and dried and rewashed several times. But no joy. I wash them at 40 degrees. Should I try a 50 or a 60 maybe?
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Put them through again, with virtually no detergent (no powder, liquid only) in an otherwise empty wash. Remove them the second the cycle is complete. Does your machine have a "Super Rinse" function?
[quote="mysteriousmise":2o2c6ay7]Put them through again, with virtually no detergent (no powder, liquid only) in an otherwise empty wash. Remove them the second the cycle is complete.[/quote:2o2c6ay7] +1 I wouldn't wash them higher than 40 degrees, I'd imagine they might fade seeing as they're dark. Hope this works!
Mysteriousmise, when you say no powder only liquid, I only use the gel tabs now so should I put one of them in or no? As to the super rinse thing, I'll have to have a look. I rent a place so it's the most useless washer dryer on the face of the earth. I can't even find a bloody manual on the thing and I have searched!
Oh, I read wrong that time. I would wash them again with no powder, liquid or gel and see if they come out.
Jacqueline Hyde Posts: 1145
Maybe check the filters for lint build up. I'd say it's more likely to be the powder though, but might be worth doing anywho
mysteriousmise Posts: 1783
Personally, I don;t like the liqui tabs, becasue they can deliver too much/too little liquid, depending on the size of the wash/degree of soilage. I'd consider using a smaller amount - perhaps 1/3 cap of some liquid only- product.