Can I colour my hair..semi permanent?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Emme Posts: 4735
Hi, I'm as grey as anything! Was wondering if anyone else got advice from their doctor about colouring their hair? Just want to use a semi permenant to cover up a bit for Christmas. Any advice? Emme
MaltaMammy Posts: 853
Hi Emme, I asked my doctor the same thing as without the dye I'd be as grey as a badger! :o0 :o0 She told me that as long as it's a brand I've used before and I know I'm not allergic to it then it's fine to use. Hope that helps! :wv
tanyababy. Posts: 511
I also asked my doc and she said that highlights are ok and also organic hair dye. I just had mine done but I waited until I was more than 3 months gone. Apparently there is no evidence to suggest it causes harm to the baby but some people warn you off it. Its hard to know what to do
newone Posts: 1714
I also asked my GP about this. She said just to check with the hairdresser that there wasn't anything harmful/unusual in the dye! So I did and hairdresser said it was fine, especially semi-permanents as they aren't that strong... hope so anyway because I have been having mine coloured away! hth
Thanks girls, I did a search here and on google but TBH I'm fed up of the cautious anti litigious friendly advice that we get. Nobody has the balls to say fire away there horse you'll be grand, everything is like 'it's fine, no evidence to say it causes damage' next sentence 'don't use it'.
mooky Posts: 1501
I know emme.. its very frustrating the conflicting reports. Sometimes you can read too much on the internet. I haven’t coloured my hair since I found out I was pregnant and the greys are getting out of hand, so I’ve booked my colour for December 13th. I’ll be 17 weeks then. I asked the midwife at my 1st coombe appointment last week and she said its fine as long as it’s a colour that you’ve used before, and try stick with semi-permanent.
Churchview Posts: 37
Its very hard, lots of people say they do and then others say not to. I think its up to yourself, personally I had terrible grey's and felt terrible beacuse of it and was going to chance dying it but then said to myself, if anything happened I wouldn't forgive myself. I dyed mine with Naturtint, an organic natural dye, I ordered it from www.evergreen.ie and it was delivered in two days and it has turned out perfectly, I'm dark brown so can't go too wrong! Maybe give this a try - it stinks worse than hair dye but is worth it!
mooky Posts: 1501
Has anyone actually asked their obstetrician if its ok? I'm not due to see mine till Dec 19th, but wanted to get it done on 13th for xmas parties. would love to know if someones asked their obstetrician
I'm meeting mine on the 15th if thats any use to you noli?!
Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
I had to make a decision at 11 weeks as I had a family wedding coming up that weekend. I phoned the midwife in the Rotunda and she said it was fine, I also asked the professor at the Beacon clinic where I'd just had my early scan and he said it was fine. Finally I asked the girl in Toni and Guy and she said the dyes were fine for pregnancy. So I got it done. I haven't had it done since, am going to treat myself for Christmas, so hopefully 2 goes of it during pregnancy with all the assurances above should be fine....it's semi permanent dye I use by the way.