Can I drink coffee?? Confused

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marriedLife Posts: 1881
Hi All, Just found out I am pregnant - we have coffee machine in work and I always have a cup at 11am - love my morning coffee - it's generally the only cup I have during the day and don't drink it at the weekend. Have read up a on whether it's safe to drink and keep getting conflicting information with some saying one to two cups is fine and others saying cut it out completely! The coffee here does be fairly strong as well as one guy always makes the pot of it each morning - is it bad to drink strong coffee??
babychino Posts: 634
My GP said 2 or 3 cups of coffee or tea a day is fine. If the coffee in work is strong you could probably count it as 2 and still be within the recommended limit. I love my coffee, but cut down from around 4 cups a day to 1 or 2, just in case.
Wife09 Posts: 873
Yea Ive drunk tea and coffee up till about 3 weeks ago. Its a personal choice but 2-3 cups a day is ok. I gave it up because Ive started to swell and it doesnt help with swelling. If I have a cuppa I feel my cankles go puff after half an hour!!!!
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I researched this on my first pregnancy because I was so nervous having a coffee I couldn't enjoy it. Caffeine does cross the placenta but according to all the stuff I read online (I stuck with credited sites only!), it is ok to have 300mg of caffeine per day when pregnant. From what I remember a cup of instant coffee is about 80mg and a cup of fresh coffee is 100mg. So going by that 2-3 cups per day is fine. I stay away from coffee during pregnancy, it's a personal choice but I now I know it crosses the placenta I just don't bother. I like very strong coffee so would probably have 150mg caffeine in mine! If I do get a mad craving for a cup I have a decaff, but only drink Clipper Decaff, as it's decaffed using water not chemicals.
marriedLife Posts: 1881
Thanks for the quick replies girls :heartbeat: :heartbeat: Oh the guilt I am feeling about having a cup of coffee :o0
secretsnuggler Posts: 374
My GP said that 2-3 cups per day was fine also, so I say, drink away! Also, I remember seeing somewhere about an Italian study saying there was no harm drinking up to 5 a day! Maybe it's only coffee-mad Italians who can get away with that though! My GP was 8 months pregnant, on her third child, so I'd say her recomendations are fairly kosher :)
SparklyB2B Posts: 1131
I was a massive coffee drinker before I fell pregnant.. tbh 2 cups do me grand now as alot of the time for some reason it tastes like perfume when I drink it!
Bee07 Posts: 628
Lurking here girls - not pregnant!! - but wondering about Decaf Tea/Coffee - since TTC I have switched to decaf.. is that ok?
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Bee I can only give you my own opinion on it. I sorta feel that caffeine is a naturally occurring substance in tea/coffee. Most decaff's are decaffed using man-made chemicals, and if I have a choice I'd go for the natural caffeine. Clipper brand coffee is decaffed using only water. I'm not sure about their tea, but you could check out their website if you needed to check.