Can I dye my hair during the first trimester?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

penni Posts: 344
Hi girls, just looking for some advice. I am due to have my hair done soon and my colour has gone to to the dogs. Is it safe to have my hair dyed? I am 6 weeks gone today? Should I phone my doctor?
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I had my hair coloured once every 6 weeks or so when I was pregnant. It was blonde highlights. I spoke to my doctor about it at the time and there was no issue with it. I would ring your doctor to put your mind at ease and speak to your hairdresser just in case. There may be different colourants that she could use instead.
paperclips Posts: 3146
I had my highlights done when I was 14 weeks - no probs here! Hope to have them done again over xmas. Will be about 27 weeks then.
Secret2013 Posts: 227
Hey Penni, I asked a hairdresser about this recently and she told me that highlights were fine as the dye doesn't actually touch your scalp she said if it's an all over colour then you to check firstly with your Doctor and secondly with your hairdresser they should be able to tell you what type of dye they use etc. Hope this helps.
penni Posts: 344
Thanks very much for the replies girls. I rang the hospital and asked a midwife and she said it's fine. It's an all over colour. There's just so much conflicting advice its hard to know what to do. Might ask the hairdresser if she has a milder dye than the one she usually uses.