can I take iron tablets??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
I think Im low in iron - tired but not sleeping at night, fainted in colleagues offie today, pale under the eyelids etc. Now i feel terrible - very weak and feel like Im going to throw up. Im in the hospital tomorrow for scan and will ask then but just wondering if you can take iron without doc telling you to??
curliwurli Posts: 3369
i took spatone earlier on in my pregnancy as it's mild enough and i had taken it before but i probably wouldn't take anything stronger without a good reason - i.e. a low iron count on my blood test.
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
thanks curly wurly
theoracle Posts: 7664
Yes you can (as above poster said), but notify your gp/consultant that you are taking them. There is also a possibility that your blood pressure is low leading to faintness and dizzy spells.
rosiemama Posts: 3363
i am taking floradix as i thought i was low in iron, but my bloods came back ok. as TheOracle said low blood pressure can make you dizzy and faint and this was what it was with me. mine was caused by dehydration due to hyperemesis, so drinking lots of water and clear liquids could help. incidentally my BP wasn't that low, but it was low for me iykwim, usually i would be 120/75 and it was 100/65 which is still in normal range. worth getting it checked out.