can we take lempsip and use vicks vaporub..dying of a cold

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babybuttons Posts: 886
:o( smothering with cold what can i take that is safe. can i rub vicks on my nose and chest? how much lempsip can i take?
searchingforBFP Posts: 111
I was dying xmas day with the flu and hubbie gave me 2 paracetamol and I took them without eve thinking....rag the mobile doc the next day as I still wasnt feeling well and put her in the picture bout being pregnant and her advice was for the first 3 months as a first line of thought take nothing, as at this stage all organs and important bodily functions are forming,...........I was shitless as I had taken the tabs already....it seems to be fine but I am not taking anything else for the 1st 12 weeks. How about a hot cuppa or head over a basin of piping hot water?? It usually works for me?
searchingforBFP Posts: 111
double post...sorry
Sphynx Posts: 6795
No you can't use either unfortunately. You can make yourself a nice hot drink with orange juice, hot water, honey and lemon and keep an eye on your temperature - if it gets high, take a panadol. I had a bad flu for 2 weeks but the chemist say I couldn't have anything other than panadol at most for it. :o( Mind yourself - get lots of sleep if you can!
doolittle Posts: 910
What worked for me: Squeeze a full lemon into a pint glass of water and add a good dollop of honey and drink 2 - 3 times a day and it really cleared my cold fast! Also got a cough bottle in the chemist thats just caleed glycerin honey and lemon and it really soothed the throat.
Emomc Posts: 2069
God help all us mums to be we all seem to be suffering from coughs and colds, me inculded :o( I am posting as there seems to be so much conflicting advice from doctors and pharmacists. The majority seem to say it is okay to take paracetomal (400mg). This is also the dose in lemsip and my own doctor told me it is okay to take lemsip every 6 hours as long as it is the ordinary one, and not max strength etc. I know my sister in law though was away on hols in Belfast and had a bad cols and when she called into the chemist she was told to take paracetomal if required and to use Vicks. There have been other posts saying not to use Vicks though...its all so confusing! I have used Vicks on my chesk and nasal area and found it very comforting and effective. Hope everyone feels better soon. Personally I think that some pharmacists tend to be over cautious. A friend of mine was told by one not to take anything but if she got worse to go to her doctor as she would probably need an antiobiotic???? Surely if there is any danger in medication antibiotics are potentially more harmful than paracetomal or Vicks?
cheer bear bride Posts: 3731
I posted this before but I asked in the coombe and they said in the first 12 weeks everything is forming so try not to take anything (not the end of the world if you already did) unless you have a fever because the possible risks from a high temp could be worse than any possible risks from painkillers They said after 12 weeks paracetamol is ok when necessary
babybuttons Posts: 886
thanks everyone. got honey and lemon. jus a quick one how high is high for temp to be worried about for baby reasons. i dont have thermometer, not sweating or anything but am warm
lisa Posts: 1612
hi there, I'm in the same boat, have rotten cold, inflammed throat and chest is raw from coughing. Went to dr on new yrs eve and he said there was no problem with me taking paracetamol 2 three times a day. Been reading up on it in 'What to expect' and they reckon a high temp is above 37.8 but this can be managed with cold drinks, tepid bath, wearing light clothing. If temp goes above 38.9 then call dr and take paracetamol
09Dreams Posts: 260
It's such a horribe time with all the colds and flu going around! I have a chest infection and the flu, doc gave me a prescription for antibiotics on new years eve but I haven't taken them yet... last resort for me. It's terrible that there's so much conflicting advise going around from pharmacists and even doctors. My doctor said that low dose penycilin antiobiotics are ok after 12 weeks as are paracetemol. She said no to everything else including lemsip. I rang the Coombe yesterday with a temp of 39.2 and they said no to lemsip. they said to take 2 panadol every 6 hrs to keep the temp down. I really didn't want to but I took the first 2 and the temp came down. sure enough after about 8-9 hours it was back up in the 38's so I had to take another 2. I've also been taking hot water, lemon and honey and the glycerine honey and lemon bottle you can get in chemist. I was told no to any skin contact with vicks or olbas but a little olbas in a bowl of hot water inhaled I was told by pharmacist is OK but I never checked this with the Coombe. Hope we all feel better soon!