Can you cancel a bank draft??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Loopster Posts: 190
Sorry boring post I know but the banks closed for the bank holiday and I need to find this out this morning!!!
BigBird09 Posts: 349
loopylouli, As far as I know the only way you can cancel a Bank Draft is by bringing it back to the bank - I think they can then cancel it. Otherwise, it is regarded as cash - uncancellable, I think. Grainne
hick Posts: 858
Yep you can, it could take up to 3 weeks to get you're money back though
BiaBlasta Posts: 1002
Sorry, I can't answer your question but does your bank have 24 hour banking?? If so you could call them and wait to be put through to customer services. You might have to hold the line a while but you will get to talk to someone. I've got to talk to people from the bank this way, even on a sunday evening once! HTH
Mrs..D Posts: 1741
You can cancel it and it takes 10 days from when it was first issued to get either a replacement draft or the money back. You don't have to produce it at the bank as you could be cancelling it due to loss/theft. HTH
sc2b Posts: 1
If the person you gave the draft to has negotiated it there is nothing you can do. If not then policy will vary from bank to bank- it could take up to 30 days for you to receive value for the original draft. You will probably also have to sign a form stating it is lost or stolen because it is considered fraudulent to give someone a draft and then cancel it. You will also have to go the branch you bought it in in person Hope this helps