Can you eat Brie if deep fried?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Number2in2012 Posts: 172
Ok, so I know it says Brie is a no-no but my pregnancy craving is for...you guessed it Brie. How convenient. I am reading conflicting reports that if the Brie is pasturized & deep fried then it's safe to eat when pregnant. I so want this to be true as my mouths watering just thinking about it! So can anyone in the know confirm yes or no?! Thanks
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
I know it's not by the book, but I was never terribly strict about these things when pregnant. I mean I don't eat a lot of the foods that are off the list (pâté and shell fish, etc which seem to cause food poisoning frequently!). When it comes to the likes of Brie I wouldn't think twice. Never heard of anyone getting ill from it. Similarly I never got salmonella from a soft yolk egg! Of course you have to be careful but for me.. Well I just wasn't over the top cautious. Caveat of course.. If you decide to give in to your craving and regret it! Don't hate me!!! Enjoy!!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I've had brie this time and last. Like other poster I don't eat pate, rare meat, runny eggs, or things like sushi, beef carpaccio or steak tartare but I like my cheese and I don't drink milk so I see no risk. Deep fried would kill anything dead so its as safe as you can get if you want brie. I think once you're savvy about where the food has come from most things won't do you any harm.
OrTees Posts: 907
According to the NHS it's ok when cooked [url:3pz0e9f3]http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2683.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216[/url:3pz0e9f3]. I have avoided the 'forbidden' cheeses in most forms but did have a few small pieces of deep fried Brie when at a friends for dinner. I'd imagine that the heat of a deep fat fryer should kill most if not all bacteria.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
As far as I know, if it's pasteurised then it's fine- cooked or not. I'm not as fussy this time around at all. Have been eating my eggs soft at home whereas last time I didn't. Once I know the eggs are fresh and cooked well then I'll take them a bit soft. I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella from a egg- very low risk. Luckily I don't like pate and not really into shellfish either but if I was I would eat it once it was fresh, cooked well and from a trusted source.
wowza Posts: 556
[quote="ReginaFalange":37m0cjka]As far as I know, if it's pasteurised then it's fine- cooked or not. I'm not as fussy this time around at all. Have been eating my eggs soft at home whereas last time I didn't. Once I know the eggs are fresh and cooked well then I'll take them a bit soft. I've never heard of anyone getting salmonella from a egg- very low risk. Luckily I don't like pate and not really into shellfish either but if I was I would eat it once it was fresh, cooked well and from a trusted source.[/quote:37m0cjka] That's what I was thinking - pasteurised I don't think it matters if it's cooked or not. (Though deep fried brie sounds very appealing!) I got food poisoning from eggs before, but that was on a plane and I think they were kept warm for quite a while (Long flight and served towards the end)
amberjack Posts: 1273
Yes, I did bothtimes, love deep fried Brie, one of my most favourite foods also had softer poached eggs
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Yes I have it if it's deep fried and did in my last two babies too... Looooove it!!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I'd agree that it's fine, this time round I'm really relaxed and pâté and unpasteurised cheese are about the only foods I'm not having
Number2in2012 Posts: 172
Thanks you all so much for the replies!! I would tend to be fairly relaxed but most info says those type of cheese are forbidden so I was worried. That NHS website was very good too, thanks! So, in the end I couldnt find brie in the shop...ended up settling for deep fried camembert (pastuerised!) in golden bread crumbs, with delicious cranberry sauce. >:o) Oh good god it was fantastic!!!!!!!! ;o)