Can you have newborn in front seat these days

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

porshe Posts: 1359
I mean with the air bag demobilised, in the passenger seat?
AliB Posts: 59
We did because the seat belts in the back were not long enough to fit any car seat - Tony Kealy himself fitted it for us so that's good enough for me! Our car doesn't have air bags though so we didn't have to worry about that.
tarab23 Posts: 26
Yes you can, as long as the airbags are deactivated.
porshe Posts: 1359
cool it makes more sense for the first two weeks anyway, I hate the thought of babs being the back with its back to me :o(
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Girls just want to pass on some advice I was given. I used to work quite close to the motor trade and would still have a lot of contacts there. I was told my a lot of safety advisors (more notably the guy from Volvo) that you really should remove the passenger airbag if you are going to have baby in the front. It is possible if you were in a bad enough crash that a demobilised airbag will activate. I'm sure the chances of it happening are very slim but still it wasn't a risk I was willing to take. We kept DD in the back and I sat back there with her until she was moved to her Group 1 seat.
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
We put DS straight into the back, even though we could have deactivated the airbag. They don't call the front passenger seat the suicide seat for nothing, and I felt he was much safer in the back. He was fine there, and we had a mirror so we could see him. I know everyone is different, but, for me it was important to have him in the back from the start. FP
sapphire09 Posts: 393
This is something I'm worried about, DH has a Van with only the 2 front seats, and I have a regular car. We're hoping DH will be looking after babs 2 days a week when I have to go back to work but we're not in a position to buy a 3rd vehicle (ie car for DH) so he'll have to use his Van for babs. Is this too dangerous? I was hoping if the front airbags were deactivated it'd be ok?
Forgottenpassword Posts: 1078
[quote="sapphire09":uscgst3t]This is something I'm worried about, DH has a Van with only the 2 front seats, and I have a regular car. We're hoping DH will be looking after babs 2 days a week when I have to go back to work but we're not in a position to buy a 3rd vehicle (ie car for DH) so he'll have to use his Van for babs. Is this too dangerous? I was hoping if the front airbags were deactivated it'd be ok?[/quote:uscgst3t] Your baby will be perfectly fine. Honestly some of the things I have seen out there would make your hair stand on end, I have been people driving with very young babies on their laps. As long as the seat is fitted properly and the airbags are deactivated (I know people say to remove them, but, this can void your insurance - so think long and hard about that!!) you are doing the very best you can, which is all any of us can do!! FP
sapphire09 Posts: 393
Thanks FP, that's put my mind at ease. You hear so much conflicting advice it's hard to know what to do for the best!
hipbaby Posts: 4530
There is so much conflicting advice I wasn't able to get our bag deactivated as the guy in the Volvo garage refused to do it for us - same as what rocket queen said. We didnt get ours done in the end and it was fine just got a big mirror!! Also I was afraid of being too distracted when driving i.e. looking over all the time at baby!! My sister was able to turn hers off and on. I told her what the guy in the garae said to me but she had to as had other children and was worried about putting her lo behind. So you ahve to go with what your circumstances dictate... www.hipbaby.ie