Can you or can't you lift heavy things?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

yellow08 Posts: 104
Hi girls Really need some advice. This is my first pg so everything is new and I can't ask friends or family these things so hoping someone can help. I am only 5 weeks and my Dad asked me to help me do some very heavy lifting tomorrow - he is building an extension. Anyway I lied to him saying I hurt my back, and feel a bit guilty. Am I right to lie? Can you or can't you lift heavy things?
theoracle Posts: 7664
I am still lifting my toddler, BUT would stear clear from very heavy boxes and stuff like that. I think you are right to err on the side of the caution, particulalry as repeated heavy lifting would be required. Don't feel guilty, your dad will completely understand once you break the news further down the line.
Mrs SomeDaySoon Posts: 117
i have to agree with hu101. the first few weeks are so important and even though it's hard when it's so early and you can't tell people the real reasons why you are avoiding lifting heavy objects, it's better to be safe than sorry. i wish you all the best for your pregnancy.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
[quote="hu101":2ogi48yf]I am still lifting my toddler, BUT would stear clear from very heavy boxes and stuff like that. I think you are right to err on the side of the caution, particulalry as repeated heavy lifting would be required. Don't feel guilty, your dad will completely understand once you break the news further down the line.[/quote:2ogi48yf] totally agree, he will understand. There is no point in doing any unnecessary lifting.
mrsodo Posts: 1292
Hi Yellow, definitely don't lift anything heavy! I made the mistake of lifting something which was too heavy this week and I had terrible cramps all that evening. I was totally freaked out, I thought i was about to MC. I put a thread on here about it and one of the posters said I had probably strained my stomach muscles, which were already starting to stretch, hence the cramps, and that really put my mind at ease. I won't be lifting anything too heavy again though, its not worth the risk. You're Dad will understand when he finds out the real reason, probably he'll be totally over the moon and relieved you didn't offer to help!
LoveACuppa Posts: 296
Don't do any heavy lifting!!! I've been told that us pregnanct ladies shouldn't lift anything heavier than an envelope. Once you tell your good news, he'll totally understand! Mind yourself and congrats on your pregnancy.
neeov Posts: 4256
I heard 30 pounds is the max. A bad back is a great excuse for this.