can you take parental leave right after maternity leave?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Daff Posts: 11644
I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but ttc at the moment and if all works out i'll be due back in work two weeks before first xmas, so was wondering if you can take some of you parental leave in conjunction with your maternity leave? so that i won't be back til jan if please god we're blessed?
baby-bel Posts: 929
theres no reason why you cant take your parental leave whenever you want but your boss has to agree
aylala Posts: 3673
i think you could but it might stop you taking unpaid leave after maternity leave which must be taken after mat leave. Unless you have annual leave whic you take before unpaid. But if you didnt want to take annual or unpaid you could go for parental leave but tbh id take unpaid and keep my parental up for another time. But to be sure check with your hr dept hth :wv
Daff Posts: 11644
Thanks girls, i want to take the 26 weeks, the 16 unpaid and then use some annual. If i do get a BFP next week, fingers crossed as i've been sick as a dog the last week and a half!, then i'll need the extra paternal leave to make it til after xmas. My work isnt' too agreeable, but i'm hoping they'll agree as i can't see anything on the citizen advice website, and also they proabably wouldn't want me returning before xmas when there's not alot I'd be doing anyway?
baby-bel Posts: 929
dont forget you are also entitled to any public holidays that fall within you maternity leave i.e. that was 10 extra days for me as my mat leave started in dec so I got back days for christmas, new years, paddys day, easter, may, june, aug bank holidays
babybuttons Posts: 886
no reason why you couldnt if you wanted, providing your manager approves it. make sure to take unpaid maternity leave straight after paid maternity (cant take holidays in between) if u do u lose the entitlement to your unpaid maternity leave and u wont get your stamps for PRSI. maybe if u take paid mat leave, unpaid mat leave and then any bank holidays u missed and then some holidays to get you over christmas if your boss doesnt allow you to take the parental leave after all the above is done