Can you take too much folic acid?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

playabella Posts: 543
Hi Folks, This might seem like a stupid question. I have started taking the folic acid, as we are going to start ttc after xmas, I also take a supplement for hair and nails that I just noticed has folic acid in it as well. Is this ok or should i just stick one or the other? Thanks :wv
alton Posts: 3077
tentatively, I think that folic acid is excreted by the body, which is why you need to top it up daily, so I don't think you can take too much. However, the other supplement may not be suitable while pregnant. I know for instance that there are two forms of vitamin A, one of which is not good for you while pregnant It might be best to double check with your GP anything that you take (not just prescription meds, but herbal remedies (including teas), supplements etc) for the duration, just to be on the safe side.
StayShiny Posts: 1078
how many mg in each of these? ... always check everything with your GP, I won't go by what I (or the internet or anyone else) say when it comes to health issues, but my guess would be you won't be able to injest enough of folic acid to cause any problems. Better be safe than sorry though, and sur' give your GP a buzz. Have fun TTCing :wv
Thanks for the replies folks - I think I will ask the doctor just to be on the safe side. :wv
Emomc Posts: 2069
Alton is right about excreting any excess folic acid. My consultant confirmed this for me as I am on a high dosage of folic acid plus I am also taking Sanotogen pre natal vits which contain f acid. I used to take some other supplements pre pregnancy for skin and nails but no longer do so. I think the Sanotogen gives me plenty of vits!
Thanks Emomc :wv