Can you use an exercise bike when pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

DublinGirl Posts: 1307
Hi girls. Before I got pregnant I bought myself an exercise bike so I could exercise during the dark evenings instead of our walking on my own. Anyway it's sitting there in the spare room gathering dust at the moment and I really could do with the exercise as I feel the weight all piling on my thighs now (as well as my tummy) :o0 All I want to know is, is there any harm in getting on the bike for 5-10 mins a night to try and firm up my thighs? I won't do any damage to myself will I? I had a friend over and she said 'Oh no you won't be able to that, not with having a section before and being pregnant now'!!! I had a section 7 years ago!!!!! Looking forward to your views. See ya girls. Hope ye are all well!!! :thnk
Dairy Queen Posts: 3707
Hello fellow April Mom! I know you can't use a real bike but I think that is due to our balance changing so much. so static one should be fine. It's up and down movement that is bad again cause we get dizzy like a stepper or cross trainer. Ask GP I suppose
lunamie Posts: 271
A friend of mine used an exercise right up to 8 months - and when she was giving birth they told her that because she had stayed fit it made a really big difference.
charli Posts: 5994
i did on my first pg as i was a member in a gym so i would do some gentle cycling and walking a couple of times a week not a member this pregnancy so just going swimming but yes i was told it was fine once i didnt over exert myself, some exercise is good and i feel it really helped me during the birth being some what fit!
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Hey Dublin Girl, we had our first ante-natal class last night and the physio spoke first about keeping fit etc. Anyways the exercise she recommended was walking, CYCLING-Stationary only, swimming, yoga and water aerobics. So I hope this helps. What she did say is not to exert yourself i.e. do what you were doing before you were pregnant but ther is definately no harm in using one. :wv