Menu

Canapes for drinks reception - yes or no?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bubblylass Posts: 61
Hi everyone We are getting married in our venue and are having our ceremony at about 2pm and then planning on calling for dinner at 5.30. There wil be evening food around 11ish and then late night munchies in the wee hours so we're having plenty of food. I'm just wondering if we need to provide canapes during the drinks reception? I absolutely love love love canapes but they are quite pricey in our venue. There will be scones and biscuits during the drinks reception but I'm worried that people will miss the savory canapes. We don't really have money in the budget for canapes but should I try cut back elsewhere to find money for this? Any opinions welcome! Thanks. :wv
Ellefun Posts: 1312
As long as you have some food, like the scones I think you can forego canapes. I always appreciate some nibbles on arrival at the reception and not having to get food at the bar. Sometimes people just want something to tide themselves over, rather than bar food, and not fill up before the meal.
Claddagh1981 Posts: 1117
Id also say no. If they are not already included in the price and your budget doesn't stretch then I wouldnt bother with them. I know they are yummy but so are scones, there filling on their own and enough to do the guests until the meal, its not that long to wait at all, and then your feeding them twice more after dinner...you already have them spoiled :)
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
Normally I would say yes, have canapes, but if there is only 3.5 hours between the start of the ceremony and meal and you are doing scones then I wouldn't worry at all.
livster82 Posts: 96
I was going to go with canapes but they are very dear. We have scones and biscuits like yourself and that should do everyone. If your a little worried maybe go with a few trays of sandwiches, wouldn't cost as much. I wouldnt bother though. Our venue offered to use some of the sandwiches for the evening buffet for our drinks reception but we're happy enough with biscuits and scones.
highbeam Posts: 2578
I think scones and biscuits are fine. We were at a wedding last year and they had the same at the drinks reception and everyone that was peckish had a scone, was perfect to tide you over until dinner.
Nostress Posts: 1606
If you are worried some people would like savoury, could you ask your venue to do some cheese/herb scones as well as the sweet ones. Kinda a compromise but not asking the venue to change alot.
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
[quote="Nostress":1lukbkqm]If you are worried some people would like savoury, could you ask your venue to do some cheese/herb scones as well as the sweet ones. Kinda a compromise but not asking the venue to change alot.[/quote:1lukbkqm] Great idea.
buddylove Posts: 3288
I personally think canapes are really important as people are starving, travelling and might not have eaten since breakfast. I always notice at weddings without something to eat (not peanuts or crisps!) that the crowd is much drunker , much sooner and it does impact on the craic later on... I definitely think if you can cut back somewhere else and do a deal with the hotel (you can haggle with them!) then it is well worth it. Edited.. Just read it back and see there is 3 1/2 hours between start of day and meal.... Probs not a big deal in that case.. But I still would try and do a deal and get them!
Bubblylass Posts: 61
Thanks everyone - I feel better about the whole thing now. I love the idea of the cheese scones - will suggest these and see what they say!