Cannot Afford Baby

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Inlove10 Posts: 806
Hi girls Would really appreciate your advice please.... Unfortunately at the moment, like alot of couples we cannot afford a baby. The problem is over the past few weeks I have developed a really strong urge to have a baby (must be hormones or something) but I can't shake it at all. Basically all of our disposable income is allocated with high mortgage, car/bills etc etc. Car loan is finishing next august which would be great to put towards childcare once I went back to work but but doesn't entirely solve the problem. My job pays maternity leave for 6 months, but I don't think I could go back after 6 months..... I know I'd love to stay out for the best part of a year. I know you get tax back, but you don't ge tthat until the end of the year, so couldnt' really factor it in. Also, does anyone have a rough figure for getting all of the baby stuff, pram, cot etc? Any advice would be much appreciated.
nelly Posts: 1875
This is not personal but I believe that statement is flawed and it grates on my nerves when i hear people go on about it- you can afford to have a baby you need to rethink your lifestyle - house, and other spending. people on €200 a week have babies and are good mothers, buggies can be saved for bought second hand or gotten for nothing if you look at "free to collect" adds. I would not like to see you in 10 years time regretting your decision of not starting a family when you wanted to.
workingmom Posts: 3429
It's true there is never a perfect time to have a baby, there's always something that you need to do or that you feel you need to do first. But, I guarantee if you unexpectedly found yourself pregnant in the morning, you'd cope and your baby would not be a financial strain. Parents have to sacrafice things so their kids have all they need, a smaller house, a cheaper car..... there are ways to cut expenditure, and I bet you'd be surprised to see how you'd cope and how well you'd do.
nelly Posts: 1875
[quote="mrs gk":2omr0okl]It's true there is never a perfect time to have a baby, there's always something that you need to do or that you feel you need to do first. But, I guarantee if you unexpectedly found yourself pregnant in the morning, you'd cope and your baby would not be a financial strain. Parents have to sacrafice things so their kids have all they need, a smaller house, a cheaper car..... there are ways to cut expenditure, and I bet you'd be surprised to see how you'd cope and how well you'd do.[/quote:2omr0okl] what i meant without being blunt!
mrscat Posts: 1082
I must say I don't really get this either, of course you can both afford a baby, start saving straight away and you'll have at least 9 mths savings behind you both. People love to help out & we were nicely surprised at the cost of the major items. Plus you cab stagger certain things too.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Just wanted to say I started back to work after 6 months and it honestly hasn't been half as bad as I thought so far. I was dreading it but it's working out really well - he is in creche 3 days/week and with his granny for another day and we're all getting on great and I still feel I spend loads of quality time with him and it's a good feeling to be earning again. We have more expenses now - mostly childcare but also food and nappies but there is children's allowance and early childcare supplement to factor in. PLUS we don't go out half as much any more or go away at weekends so we manage fine without having much disposable income and will still have a (modest) holiday. I know people who earn a lot less and have 2 or 3 kids and who manage also. Re the expenses beforehand, you can go mad buying all sorts of accessories but the main things you need are a cot, a pram, a car seat and a steriliser and you can shop around and get deals in sales and buy them gradually over the 9 months. And we got enough baby clothes as presents and as hand-me-down from cousins to last him until he's 2! If you really want a baby, it would be an awful shame to let finances stop you.
Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
there will always be a reason not to have a baby there is never the right time unless you win the lotto so if you want one go for it and jumbletown baby essentials there is always a way
Inlove10 Posts: 806
I take your point Nelly, but you can only adjust your lifestyle so much. We don’t really go out that much. I wouldn’t have any issue with hand me downs either if you can get them. DH said that we could save over the nine months, not sure how much we could squeeze out of our very tight budget at the minute, the other ting is he works for himself so we really should have savings behind us just in case he gets sick or things are slack. Childcare is the biggest worry, do they charge you for a full week in crèche if you only have them in for a couple of days? I don't want to head into this head first without knowing we can afford childcare. I know other people who have done that and they have ended up in debt partly because they are not good at planning/budgeting. I suppose we could look at a private childminder which would be cheaper. You have all been really helpful thanks a million Does anyone have a run down on the cost of all the bits you need pram, cot etc?
short n sweet Posts: 1802
Inlove 10 like the others have said there is no perfect time to have a baby - technically I can't afford to have a baby either - but he is on his way and no going back now :o0 - we have started staying in already and have been amazed by the offers we have received re a helping hand - My Godmother has told us she is buying the pram! This baby has loads of cousins so will hopefully get clothes handed down! They were good enough for us when we were small and did no harm!! As the other have said there is the state payments too and as far as I know you only pay for 3 days if the child is in the creche for 3 days. You really will be fine - people always find a way so I would say don't worry and just go for it if you really want to - Best of luck :wv
Hepburn Posts: 4081
You are obviously a very budget conscious person and that is to be applauded but somebody as cautious as yourself might never feel the time is right. My husband lost his job a year after our son was born and just before our wedding. We managed. You would too.