Cant get married

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

oneday Posts: 138
I don't know what to do, i've been engaged for 3 1/2 years, when we first got engaged, we looked into booking the wedding but as our 2nd child was only 6mths old and we had just bought our house we decided, for money reasons, to wait a few years. Well a few years is here now and we decided in january to start looking at planning the wedding, we spent a few months looking at venues etc, and had decided on most of the things we wanted. The date in our chosen venue, the church, band etc are all available but (luckily in a way i suppose) we hadn't put deposits on anything yet. In the last month I lost my job and my fiance has had to go on a 3day week in his. So now the wedding is off. I can't explain how devestated we (especially me) are. I wasnt even planning an extravagant wedding, I had everything planned down to the last and it was coming in at just under €12,000. I know this probably isin't a very appropriate subject for this forum, i just wondered if anyone else went through anything similar really. If it all worked out in the end? Thanks for reading
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
Sorry to hear that your plans have been scoopered. I havent went through your experience but just wanted to say that I hope something works out for you. Have you or would you consider a wedding with immediate family only, or getting married abroad.
Take 2! Posts: 403
i havent been through it either but just didnt want to read and not comment. Hope things pick up soon for you, you really sound like you've been though the mill lately :xox
Thanks, We spoke about a much smaller wedding but to be honest, i dont think thats even feasible at the moment we need to see how things age going to be money wise, mortgage etc, before tying ourselves to any money comittments. I just never imagined i could be this upset over a wedding that was never even booked to begin with.
candypants Posts: 8575
Hi one day, This happened us, we had to cancel, luckily only had the deposit on venue paid so thats all we lost out on. it should have been last month :o( Were still talking about getting married, but still havnt the funds, we are only going to have small amount for meal but wanted a big afters, am willing to cut back on so much stuff but still it cant be met. :o( Just think, theres always someone worse off, and everything happens for a reason, thats what got me through it :xox
[quote="Big_Chatterbox":2an7rij5]Hi one day, This happened us, we had to cancel, luckily only had the deposit on venue paid so thats all we lost out on. it should have been last month :o( Were still talking about getting married, but still havnt the funds, we are only going to have small amount for meal but wanted a big afters, am willing to cut back on so much stuff but still it cant be met. :o( Just think, theres always someone worse off, and everything happens for a reason, thats what got me through it :xox[/quote:2an7rij5] Thanks chatterbox, Dont take this the wrong way, but its nice to know i'm not the only one. I feel like no one understands :o( which i know is silly. I was bridesmaid last week for my cousin and it took all i had to get me through the day, still have 2 more weddings to go to this year. I'd be willing to cut right back too, but its still not possible at the moment plus to be honest, i'd still like to have something close to my dream day, at the moment if we want to do it'd be regestry office then mc donalds after :o0 i just need to get my head around it i think then i'll be ok.
No your not the only one, and om sure theres plenty more. It is devastating, and whats worse we had our day booked and then it passed us by :o( I do be still on here looking for ideas and suggestions in all cause it will eventually happen :o0 We only bought our house last year and still havent done anything to it so gonna start doing bits and pieces to keep me occupied! Im always in OFF TOPIC forum to make me feel more welcome :o0
[quote="Big_Chatterbox":3n4b2kfz]No your not the only one, and om sure theres plenty more. It is devastating, and whats worse we had our day booked and then it passed us by :o( I do be still on here looking for ideas and suggestions in all cause it will eventually happen :o0 We only bought our house last year and still havent done anything to it so gonna start doing bits and pieces to keep me occupied! Im always in OFF TOPIC forum to make me feel more welcome :o0[/quote:3n4b2kfz] I can imagine it must be hard seeing the date pass, but congrats on the house, it'll certainly keep you occupied for a while.
its keeping me occupied thinking of things, no funds yet to buy anything though :o0 Was it next year you planned to marry?
[quote="Big_Chatterbox":1r5it0q8]its keeping me occupied thinking of things, no funds yet to buy anything though :o0 Was it next year you planned to marry?[/quote:1r5it0q8] Yeah it was September next year, on my nana and grandads wedding anniversary, they've both passed away and i really wanted to have it on their wedding anniversary, so even if we get funds together over the next year, i've kinda restricted myself to a date so i'll have to wait another year or 2 etc. Although that said, i wouldnt mind waiting if i knew it was definately gonna happen. Do you have any idea of when you'll set another date or are you like us, just waiting and seeing when its possible?