Cant stand the F - ing ITCH

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
Girls, This only came on me yesterday morning. And now this morning I am literally tearing the skin off myself. My thighs and arms are red raw. Did anyone else have this? When I google it, all it says is that its a common pregnancy ailment that lasts until after the baby arrives. Should I go to the doctor?
tilsun Posts: 4506
I had a patch of very bad itch, when I mentioned it at an appointment they did a liver test to be on the safe side. Just a blood test, so easy to rule out any problem. I was also told I could use a steroid cream so maybe speak to your doctor about that. Hope it eases, mine was small but drove me nuts
MrsMommy Posts: 1112
I get really really itchy, especially around my bra and bump. Seems to just be another charming side effect of pregnancy. Have you a rash at all? I would keep the skin well moisturised anyway.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Do mention it at your next AN appointment - as tilsun said sometimes it can be to do with liver function & other times it's just another joy of pregnancy. Best to get it checked out though to be on the safe side!
happygolucky Posts: 200
Yep, have this, most likely PUPPS. I would get them to look at it as they need to rule out the liver thingy. I take a piriton when needed and stopped using my usual shower gels, I used emulsifying bp for showers and avveno menthol cream for moisturising. Eased off very quickly thank god. Have since switched to Sanex zero for showers. Good luck!
Thanks Ladies, yes I have a red rash, it doesnt look too bad but of course me scratching it doesnt make it any better. I have a doc app at 1 - I will report back. :wv
Best of luck Jeidi!!
Well girls, he gave me steroids to mature the babys lungs - as if there was a chance that the baby might come prematurely, the lungs wouldnt be mature enough. I have to go back on Monday afternoon, and hopefully the steroids will have put an end to the itch aswell. Between this and everything else I feel like going home and crying :weep
Jeidi is the chance baba will come early linked with the itch? One of the girls in my physio ante-natal class got steroid injection on Friday and she said on Saturday she was quite puffy but back to normal again by Sunday! At least they are thinking ahead in case anything does happen! That was quick thinking on the part of your hospital!!
BabasFor2012 Posts: 1594
I feel your pain, there is nothing worse than the constant itch. At around 37-38 weeks I developed an insane itch, started on my bump and spread to wrists ankles and thighs. It was utterly horrendous and I tried everything to ease it. Steroid cream had no effect, I was in the hospital for my blood pressure just after it started and they gave me a piriton which did nothing too. Best things I found for it were aveeno oatmeal baths and aloe vera gel. Then I got some calamine lotion as well which helped a lot, it's best to alternate what you are using as the effect wears off if you use the same thing too much. Make sure your doctor gets your bloods done as an itch can be linked to liver problems in some cases, that's probably why they gave you steroids, just in case as sometimes they might have to deliver baby early if this is the problem.