Car seat business

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mammybean Posts: 10364
hey guys just wondering, rading that a babyisnt meant to be in a car seat for any more than 2 hours. my journey to my home is 5 hours. we cannot ge tout of going plus we are getting married up there when the baby wil be 6 months. has anyone had to do a long journey? what did you do. i am thinking travel half, spend a night in dibli thn the other half the next day? bit confused?
Bumpalicious Posts: 512
I would say if you just stopped and walked the baby around for a while you'll be fine. Presumably you will have to stop to feed him/her anyway..I think they just need a chance to stretch out their legs etc really..
Idina Posts: 1289
I asked about his and once in a while is fine just so long as it's not every day
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
You can buy car seats that are suitable for all day use. In other words there's no time limit on how long baby can stay sittiing the seat. I can't remember the name of them. I think Maxi Cosi do one. If you ask in Mothercare they'll be able to tell you HTH
chilledout Posts: 834
[quote:38prhg41]You can buy car seats that are suitable for all day use[/quote:38prhg41] Why would you want to leave your baby in a car seat all day?? If you're going on a long journey you will have to stop and feed the baby at some stage. New borns need feeding every three hours or so. When we go on long journeys we just time it so we stop about half way to feed DS (and ourselves!). We take him out for about 30-45 minutes and then back into the car again. Its not a problem once you're not doing it every day.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
chilled out I think it's because some people fit the car seat into their buggy frame and use that for the first 6 months instead of a carrycot. Mothercare said the Maxi Cosi could be used that way with no time limit but Tony Kealy's said they couldn't, i.e the 2 hour time limit is still important. I think the main thing is to just get the baby out to stretch even if just for a few minutes rather than letting them sit for hours on end in the car seat. Sure you'd have to take them out to change their nappies anyway! This is from the Maxi Cosi web site: [b:e3zq7cal]You often hear that a baby should lie for a maximum of 2 hours in a baby car seat. Is this true?[/b:e3zq7cal] There are many misconceptions regarding this.This is generally said and written out of concern for babies and in short it comes down to the fact that a baby car seat such as e.g. a Maxi-Cosi Citi or Maxi-Cosi Cabrio(Fix) should not be used excessively.Children should not lie in a fixed position for too long unnecessarily.They should have the opportunity to develop their motor skills and their arm, back and neck muscles.As the manufacturer of the main car seat for babies in Europe, the Maxi-Cosi, we have been writing this for many years in our user instructions.Do not put a baby in a car seat for the whole day for convenience, but give him/her the opportunity to develop.This also applies to baby carriers and all other products in which a baby sits, hangs or lies in a fixed position.However, if you have to make a longer car journey or travel on holiday once in a while, this is no problem at all.We recommend thatyou stop every 2 hours.After all, a baby has to eat and be changed regularly anyway.
*bubblez* Posts: 1599
I was wondering about this too but my lil cousin who's 17 expecting her first baby put me straight and told me as long as its not every day its fine and also said sure won't you have to feed and change baby anyway, at which point they'll be out and about flailing their little arms and legs everywhere so its grand, I thik as long as ur not sticking a bottle under his chin and leaving him lying there without any activity or attention they'll be fine
mammybean Posts: 10364
thanks, as always very helpful and informative!