Career change! Banker to Teacher??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

buddylove Posts: 3288
Hi wollies Im thinking of a change in career change. Currently work in the bank and thinking of moving on out of there. Always wanted to be a teacher but of course never really applied myself to go after it when i finished my leaving. I know there are loads of teachers on this site and was wondering is teaching as rewarding as I imagine. I know its not easy but I think it would be seriously rewarding. If I was considering it is there certain qualifications or leaving cert points I would need to persue it?? And are the job prospects zero to nil chance?? AM I MAD! Thanks chicks!! :lvs
CalamityJane Posts: 783
Hi dollbride... What area are you looking to work in? Primary or secondary? Maybe some of the primary school teachers here could fill you in on what training you'd need to do for that (I do know that there are a few different ways - studying primary ed full-time for 3 years / degree and one year course or online Hibernia course (after you do your degree), but I'm sure that other people will have more info on this), but for secondary, you'd need a degree first (basic ARTS or other degree which would have subjects in it that you could teach later on) and then you'd need to do a postgrad (Higher Diploma in Education) so all-in-all, this training could take 4-5 years depending on which degree you choose to do (the h-dip takes a year). The h-dip is quite expensive. 10 years since I did it, but I think it's about 4,000 now. It's a lot of work and dedication (not as much if you already have a degree) and there's no guarantee of a job at the end of it all. Teachings jobs are very scarce at the moment, but things could be different by the time you qualify. Life is short and if it's something you really want to do, then maybe you should find a way. It is an incredibly rewarding job. I've done other jobs, but this is the one that I find the most fulfilling. It's just a shame we don't get paid more O:| Oh, but the holidays are a bonus :o)ll I hope that helped a bit. Sure fire away if you've any more questions or pm me if you want.
yippeeme Posts: 2139
hey Doll, I think if u ask any teacher during the summer hols, is teaching rewarding, than the answer will be an absolute hell yes! >:o) Ah no in fairness it is really rewarding and job satisfaction can be huge when u see the improvement in a child or a class at the end of the year, but it is not without its fair share of BS and stress. U can have good days n bad like everything else and clearly the hours and hols are great, but believe me in the run up to the holidays everyone has just had all they can take, kids and teachers alike! If u like kids its a great job, have to say i love it and for me pros outweigh the cons every time, but ask me again mid sept!! :o0 There have been alot of other threads on this recently, which might help u. For primary teaching you need to have hons irish to train here but in UK u can train and do the irish exam here after, but its very hard. Think its about 460ish points now to apply for undergraduate on CAO, could be even higher, its gone up in recent years. U could do the HDip if u already have a degree, places are given out following an interview in Irish and english, again its hard to get a place on the course this way. There is always Hibernia but in the current climate i think u'd be at a disadvantage trying for a job with a hibernia qualification as opposed to a university qualification. I know several principals who feel like this also. HTH. Good luck! :wv
Thanks a mill. I know it seems mad and I do enjoy my job but i really feel i need to look outside the safer number if you get what i mean. I have a degree in Business so must check if this will help me! Im only looking for info as you say as its such a big decision but i really feel that life is short and maybe its time to look into other avenues in life! Any bankers on here will verify that it sucks at the moment and not so rewarding!! And its not like i want to bail out when the going gets tough but it just makes you think about what you want from life. Thanks for replying!
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
Is it primary or secondary teaching you are interested in. I'm a primary teacher and I did it the long way round! Went to UCD and did a degree in Social Science with the intention of becoming a social worker. But teaching was always in the back of my mind - have wanted to be a teacher since I was v young! So after my degree I went to Aberystwyth in Wales and did a post grad course. Chose that over the post grad here at the time as it started in Sept rather than hanging round till Feb here and it was 9 months. I was lucky in that when I qualified (10 years ago) there was loads of jobs and I was lucky to get a permanent one in a local school. I know things have changed drastically on the jobs front now but there always will be jobs - they may not be as plentiful but there'll be teachers retiring etc all the time and going on career breaks, maternity leave etc. And apparently we're due a baby boom! Or in the middle of one, can't remember which. Theres new school being built where I teach and at the moment all the local schools have falling numbers but apparently census figures show increasing demand for places in the next few years. Which should mean more jobs once the govt don't increase class size again! On the job satisfaction side of things can honestly say I really enjoy my job. Obviously there are days when you get stressed, and the kids drive you crazy but on the whole the job satisfaction is great. At the moment I teach Junior Infants (taught 1st for 3 years, Jun Inf for 3, then EAL for 2 and back to Jun Inf since last year) and the difference in the kids between Sept and June is unreal! Sept with Jun Inf is a nightmare though! O:|
CalamityJane Posts: 783
If you have a business degree, you could train as a business studies/accounting etc teacher at secondary level. It'd mean you'd only have to do the h-dip for the year. Maybe it's primary you're interested in though? They are similar and different at the same time. I agree with 2julybride that we will all say it's great during the summer hols, but I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I feel this way during the year too. Sometimes the students (I teach teenage boys) annoy me or there is too much school politics going on for my liking, but on the whole, I really do love my job. Best of luck with your choice!
Mrsdm Posts: 1136
I dont think you are mad. At 26 I made a Major career change and one of my friends too, she was in marketing and did the Hibernia course and is now a primary school teacher and loves it. All I can say is that I thought at 26 I was too old but to be honest, the studying and assignments were fine and I dont regret the change for one second so go for it!
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
from a fellow banker i'd say go for it if you can afford to do whatever courses you need. i dread going to work some mornings but with so many outgoings couldnt consider leaving
That is so nice to hear! Im 27 and feel afraid that im past it sometimes!! whats the hibernia course?? Is that only for ppl with previous teacher exams done??
pebbles2011... I totally dread it as well. I have a mortgage on a house and now h2b and I are looking to build so im totally screwed financially.. BUT god the bank is a joke! its horrible dreading going to bed for fear of whats ahead the next morning!