Carseats and carrycots...

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CestMoi Posts: 2162
I'm just starting to look on a few webpages at the different travel systems available. Totally clueless about what we do/don't need. Obviously we need a pushchair and car seat of some sort. I asked my mum what she thought about the carrycot, she reckoned we probably need one for the likes of travelling to her house or anywhere you might be for a few hours, and could put them to sleep in that for a while. Handy for the first few months. Now one question I have, is I planned on having a cot upstairs and a moses basket downstairs, to save up and down for day time naps. But I'm wondering if a carrycot would probably replace the moses basket??? Second question was that in the videos I was watching on http://www.kiddicare.com most of the carseats we're rear facing. Now maybe I'm naive but I was surprised by this, I thought you'd put the little one in the back but be able to see them while you we're driving??? No!? Its not a huge problem, I'd probably put them in the front (if your allowed, with airbags and that), for the first while until I got used to the whole new baby thing. I don't know how much driving I'll be doing with a new born, probably not a whole lot. But to my mum's house is 1.5 hours drive, and my DH is self employed so I'm going to be a bit like a single mum a lot of the time. I'm very independent anyway so I'm not bothered, sorry I'm rambling a little. But my point was I could have long journeys to take, and I just wondered are no seats forward facing so I could see babs for some of this time? Sorry for long post, it would be great to hear from people who have used these and what you do or don't find useful. Also I don't want to be wasting money buying things that will get used once and put in the corner.
Hellothere2010 Posts: 2358
if you are going to use a carry cot for your baby to sleep in during the day you must check with the shop that your carry cot is suitable. Some are and some arent - they must have the correct back support and air circulation to allow baby to sleep in it for periods of time regulary. Usually moses basket is safer and that is what I would recommend As for the car seat - god forbid you were in accident - it must be rear facing for a child that cannot hold up their head. Most smashes are front on so you are flung forward - if baby is in rear facing seat their head goes into the seat rather than head forward if you know what I mean. Also you can buy mirrors that fit in the back of the car so when you look in the mirror you can see the child in rear facing seat
once baby is approx six months (can hold up head and is tall enough) a new front facing seat is required
last reply!!! You can only keep baby in car seat for 1/5 hours - then they need a break - its for their back and neck - so you will need to take breaks driving Best of luck
babyforus Posts: 1619
Babyfarm have travel systems which have everything. I am thinking I will get one of those: http://www.babyfarm.ie/prams-buggies-7/ ... ystems-47/
Greece Posts: 1800
Hiya - I know how you feel, its all very daunting when you start looking. Here is my tuppence worth: 1. Carrycot - if you are buying a travel system a lot of them have carrycots as you know. The carrycot with most systems is NOT suitable for baby to sleep in so be very careful of that. Always follow the manufacture guidelines rather than sales assistant as they can conflict. The Bugaboo has a carrycot travel system and this one [b:1a25m5ll]IS[/b:1a25m5ll] suitable as a replacement moses basket but Im not sure if any others are, its to do with the type of matress in them. Just be careful and make sure you are confident about this. We got the Quinny Buzz 3 system with the carrycot, your baby has to be lying flat for the first few months so a carrycot is ideal but there are systems that have an option for buggy to lie flat if you didnt want a carry cot. 2. Moses basket - having the moses basket downstairs is ideal IMO because daytime napping will be made easier then. Ill be having it in my room for first few weeks and just move it downstiars during the day then. 3. Car seat - infant car seats - as in new born - are ALL rear facing and as far as I am aware can ONLY be used in the back seats of your car for safety reasons. I may be wrong on that but you can check. They only use the front facing seats when baba is a bit older, I think from 9 months on maybe. Also important to note that baby can only be a max of 1.5 hours a day in most car seats so check this as well. You can buy a mirror to hang on back seat so when you look in rear view ytou can see them. Hope this helps - good luck :wv
Greece Posts: 1800
Double post sorry
Thanks hello_there! Lots of food for thought there! Told you I was clueless! :o0 Ok well, it makes sense about the crash v rear facing, never thought of that! So that's fine, I'll have a think about the mirrors, at least I know now they are all rear facing. As for moses basket v's carrycot and suitable back support. What your saying really is you might be better off without the carrycot, and just get a moses basket? How portable are they for bringing to grandparents houses? (moses baskets that is) ETA: Still in shock, just seen your reply, didn't get to read it yet. Chatting here in the office so I'm distracted between both :hic
[quote="babyforus":2xhmb6h4]Babyfarm have travel systems which have everything. I am thinking I will get one of those: http://www.babyfarm.ie/prams-buggies-7/ ... ystems-47/[/quote:2xhmb6h4] Thanks for the link, which one are you thinking of? I just clicked the link but there are 2 pages of different systems? ETA: I'm liking this one in particular! NEW 2010 Hauck Apollo Black
[quote="Still in Shock":1d6b6i3w]Hiya - I know how you feel, its all very daunting when you start looking. Here is my tuppence worth: 1. Carrycot - if you are buying a travel system a lot of them have carrycots as you know. The carrycot with most systems is NOT suitable for baby to sleep in so be very careful of that. Always follow the manufacture guidelines rather than sales assistant as they can conflict. The Bugaboo has a carrycot travel system and this one [b:1d6b6i3w]IS[/b:1d6b6i3w] suitable as a replacement moses basket but Im not sure if any others are, its to do with the type of matress in them. Just be careful and make sure you are confident about this. We got the Quinny Buzz 3 system with the carrycot, your baby has to be lying flat for the first few months so a carrycot is ideal but there are systems that have an option for buggy to lie flat if you didnt want a carry cot. 2. Moses basket - having the moses basket downstairs is ideal IMO because daytime napping will be made easier then. Ill be having it in my room for first few weeks and just move it downstiars during the day then. 3. Car seat - infant car seats - as in new born - are ALL rear facing and as far as I am aware can ONLY be used in the back seats of your car for safety reasons. I may be wrong on that but you can check. They only use the front facing seats when baba is a bit older, I think from 9 months on maybe. Also important to note that baby can only be a max of 1.5 hours a day in most car seats so check this as well. You can buy a mirror to hang on back seat so when you look in rear view ytou can see them. Hope this helps - good luck :wv[/quote:1d6b6i3w] Thanks for that. I'll check out the bugaboo range, but I'm starting to think, that maybe I might just need a normal moses basket? Or are they portable for going to other people's houses? I don't mean to travel in! And what if your going out for a walk if the baby is asleep, or might sleep when your out? Do you put them in the pushchair and let back the back rest a bit, or do you need a pram/carrycot sort of thing then? Oh god! I didn't think babies we're so complicated until I started looking at all the accessories they come with! :innocent: Do you think then if you can only have them in carseat for 1.5 hours max, that I will have to break up the journey 2 or 3 times on the way? And I won't be able to come and go in the same day? I think I'm in for a big shock! Lucky I've another 5 months to get used to the idea! My dog travels with me right now, I'm so lucky she gets in curls up and sleeps the whole way there. Not even a pee break :yelrotflmaosmilie: