cash wedding gift for sister-how much?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mercury1 Posts: 82
Just wondering how much is acceptable as a cash wedding gift for a sister? Thanks!
Mrstobe10 Posts: 1793
what you can afford, I got my sis her wedding rings (h2b is a jeweller) and she has offered me 1000.. :eek which is crazy I know(well i think).. my bro is doing the wedding cake... :wv
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Really is a personal choice. Depends on how close you both are, how much you can afford etc etc. I paid for my sisters cars when she got married. It was nearly 6 years ago now and I think they cost 500 pounds. She is now returning the favour for me. :wv
May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
I gave my brother €500 last year when he got married. He was shocked said it was way too much but when its family i wanted to give more then you would give at a normal wedding which is €200 for myself and H2B.
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
I was thinking of giving my sister €300 do you guys think that's enough? I'm doing bridesmaid for her (she's only having one) so do you think that would be enough? (she's actually getting married abroad and is having a blessing (well the priest says its a marriage) wen she gets back that's when i'm doing BM here not abroad).
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
I gave my sister a €100 and a magnum of champagne
she Posts: 3298
[quote="Messer":20zz6we6]I was thinking of giving my sister €300 do you guys think that's enough? I'm doing bridesmaid for her (she's only having one) so do you think that would be enough? (she's actually getting married abroad and is having a blessing (well the priest says its a marriage) wen she gets back that's when i'm doing BM here not abroad).[/quote:20zz6we6] It's loads, don't be panicing over it, you can only give what you can afford, IMO thats loads and your sis will be trilled im sure.... :wv
LeonardandPenny Posts: 2684
Thanks SHE, was just wondering as she's very good to me and h2b and vice versa plus I was gonna get her a lovely photo frame (its quiet lovely wouldn't usually buy things like that!)
Fifi Le Fume Posts: 1718
My sister is giving my €450, she is paying for the wedding cake. I think thats loads, but she insists she can afford it. When she gets married(if she ever finds a man :o0 ) i'd prob give her €500 - €750, but thats because at the moment i know i could afford that. As other posters said, give what you feel you can afford.
riogan Posts: 240
H2B's brother got married in Jan and we're very close he was his groomsman. We gave €300 I think thats plenty didn't get any complaints anyway!