Castlebar Hospital

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SuzyC Posts: 335
Hi does anyone know anything about Castlebar Hospital? Ive been given the choice of there or Galway. All I know is your appointment is your appointment no waiting. There is always parking in the car park and not as busy as Galway. These are all very inticing points but I know nothing else. Anyone know anything about the staff or hospital itself?
theoracle Posts: 7664
I have had the same choice as I live near the border. I went to Catlebar as DH was born there :-8 and had the german consultant Dr Bartel, and he is v good. Dr Mohammed is also v good. The car parking is ok, but I would say that there are waiting times involved going public at least. I had my daughter there last March and I can't fault the midwifes or the care I got in any way. The times I had a bleed in early pregnancy I always got accepted through A&E and they were absolutely lovely in the EPU. I had to spend time in hospital prior to that due to a m/c and on that occasion everybody was very nice also. How it compares to Galway I couldn't say. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.
Thanks for that, in Galway you get an appointment time but so does everyone else so there could be up to 40 mums to be waiting. It was not unusual for me to be there for 9.30am and not get out untill 2pm. Gosh this is really tough, my family live very close to Galway so it would be handy for them and I live same distance away from both..... O:| agggghhh i have to make up my mind by tomorrow. Why do pregnant ladies have to make decisions??? :o0
Well in Castlebar the peri-natal clinic appt is in the morning and I waited aprox 20 minute over my appt time (that is the first appt, midwife and scan). The consultant clinic is always on Tuesday afternoons from 2-5, so normally the turn-around is quite good but it happened to me on occassion that I was the last one out, but only because I was having scans as well due to my condition.
ooo that sounds really good, I think I have my mind made up .... nearly :o0
Titch Posts: 261
Does your doctor refer you to Castlebar or should you call up yourself to make a prenatal appointment? Also do you get to see a consultant if you go semi private?
scobette Posts: 1010
I'm in Castlebar and you have the choice of Private or Public my gp said there is no option for semi private (may be wrong). I'm going with Bartels as he is efficient and punctual and his secretary is really organised. friend went with Mohammad and the secretary is a walking nightmare she only works parttime now and always has a child roaring at the end of the phone when you ring and that's if she answers!! Lately she has started cancelling appointments on the morning by text message friend actually got a text while in the car park!!!
I just received my first hospital appointment with Castlebar for 9/12 so I will be 12 weeks. I was really impressed that I got this so quickly on the public system. Just wondering will I get a scan at this appointment or what happens? if you go public do you get to see a consultant at any point? Thanks
Hi there. I have had another baby since I posted last on this topic and again it was a very positive experience, the midwifes were absolutely lovely and we were both well looked after. I presume the letter you got is for the peri-natal clinic? In that case, you will have a scan. On arrival you will have to fill out a yellow form which will accompany you at all your future hospital check-ups. Then you will have a scan, usually a lady called Helen does them and she is This interview also automatically highlights any areas of concern eg history of high blood pressure etc. You will be expected to have a urin sample with you, there will measure your bp, take your height and weight, if you have had your bloods done by your gp, they will want to see those results also (or at next appt). After that you will be attending the ante-natal clinic which will allternate with gp appointments. These visits are usually quite short and you will see either your consultant or one of his locums. When I had Bartels he would usually do a mini-scan at the clinic, a really quick one to see heartbeat, fluid and that placenta is working as it should do. If you have any questions or concerns don't hold back and ask freely, they will not usually volunteer a whole lot of info, but will certainly answer any concerns you may have. So if they are examining you in silence and you have no clue what is what, just ask! If things are all normal you are likely to have short routine visits, but if they have a slightest notion of anything going on, they will take additional bloods, do additional scans etc. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you want to know anything else.
Thanks a mill for your reply. The letter says that an appointment has been arranged at the Antenatal booking clinic so I assume that this is for scan as I have not been to the hospital yet. Do you mind me asking if you went public or private? O-O