Cavalier King Charles - any advice

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrs bmw Posts: 6447
hey all thinking of getting a Cavalier King Charles, we have never had a dog before, does anybody have any advice they can offer me?
mollyeile Posts: 2486
I want one too! My parents have a cocker spaniel and they have a wonderful temprement. Obviously they have to be walked and you will have to get a good kenneling place for when you are away unless you have someone who would be willing to look after it for you. If you are going for a pure breed check up on the breeder and make sure you get your papers. Enjoy!
Yeah they seem like such a nice happy dog, we have been thinking about it for about 5/6 mths so nice is the time to start shopping!
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
From my limited experience with them, they generally have a good temprement and can be really loving pets...not to mention they are an absolutely gorgeous dog! Full breeds can be prone to certain health problems that you may not get with a dog that isn't . A friend of mine has a cav with a heart murmur. It just means he can't go for long walks and needs more check ups. I've a pom with excema and IBS (I kid you not!)...But then again humans are just the same! Make sure you get to see the Mum and other pups too. Best of luck with it all! If you've never had a dog before they're a great dog to start out with...as with all dogs all you need is plenty of patience and love! :lvs We'll be looking forward to an update in furry friends!
a heart murmer and long walks - sure that sounds like me!!! Yes my dears I shall let you all know how I get on!
Gonetopasturesgreener Posts: 3556
[quote="mrs crilly":1dje97ap]a heart murmer and long walks - sure that sounds like me!!! Yes my dears I shall let you all know how I get on![/quote:1dje97ap] Don't let that put you off! The majority of pure breds are absolutely fine! They don't need super long walks...45 mins a day is good going.
junglegirl Posts: 239
I am the lucky owner of a King Charles and I cant recommend them enough!They are gorgeous little dogs,lovely temperament,good with children etc.Some of them are prone to heart murmurs , bad hips ,but deal with a reputable seller and have your vet check him over before you buy if you can.You wont regret getting one- you will wonder how you managed without him!!
lets go fly a kite Posts: 2388
Why not get a dog from the pound?
justwaitin Posts: 2462
if you can lay your hands on thr K.I.S.S guide to dogs, i found it brillant when reading up on dogs, read as much as you can about the breed that you what, also contact the ikc they may be able to give you list of breeders, also if you do decide to go ahead and get a pup, if you can at all take some time off work to in adapt with the puppy.
sinion Posts: 6050
my king charles baby is 8 years old and the light of my life, she is just the most gorgeous affection dog you could ever hope to have. She lives for treats and my lap :lvs She does have a heart murmur and she's had a few health problems over the years but nothing too bad and she's still going strong, but we will have to start her on medication for her heart soon, just to make sure she's with us for as long as possible. As i type this she's curled up squished next to me, as usual :lvs