Cavan Hospital- anyone give me advice on it?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mumslove Posts: 528
The questions begin now!!! (only found out I'm pregnant) I had my dd in Drogheda but had a really bad time, i wont go into the details but if your curious you'll probably find it on a previous post I'm not sure If I ever wrote about it. I'm thinking of going to Cavan even though its about an hour away from me, theirs not any other hospitals I can choose from unless Dublin of course but I dont fancy trying to get through all that traffic in an emergency!!!! Can anyone give me there views on it? If you have any not so good reviews on it, can you give it marks out of 10 incase you scare the living daylights out of me with the details? Anything would be great Thank You girls
spinning jinny Posts: 425
Firstly, congratulations SKERTL :o)ll :o)ll Three of my very good friends have had their babies in Cavan General Hospital and they have nothing but good to say about their experiences. Two went private with Dr Hussein and one went private with Dr Syed. These doctors are some of the best in the country. They were very impressed with the midwifes, that they were so nice and helpful and listened to what they wanted i.e. if they wanted an epidural they got one, if they said they didn't want to breast feed they got no hassle. I'm going with Dr Syed. He was very good to me during my mc so wouldn't go anywhere else. I live in Cavan town and I consider myself very lucky that I don't have to travel to Dublin for a good doctor/service, etc...... Best of luck with your decision. If you need any more info I'll do my best to suss it out for you...
hagfromhell Posts: 2146
I had my DD in Cavan in 2002. I went public and had elective section. I was under Dr Hussein. I have nothing but praise for everyone who was involved in the whole thing. The nurses in Maternity are lovely, very helpful. Take baby at night if you are not able to manage after section. SKERTYL said about the b.feeding - I had opted to Bottle feed and it was not a problem whatsoever. I am expecting in January again and have no hesitation in going back there. Best of luck with everything x
kopbabe Posts: 453
Hi, Im heading to Cavan to have mine. Going public with Dr. Syed. So far I have nothing but good things to say. The nurses are dotes!! really nice. I have also had a scan every consultants app so far. Did the ante natal course up there which is grand but I liked the fact you got a trip around the maternity unit. At least you kinda know what to expect. Plus they have the midwife lead unit which looks fab (if all goes well with this bab, will defo consider it for no.2). They also have a new nursery so if babs is born from 30 weeks on they can care for it which is fab!! Thats all I can think of but will let you know more in bout 8 weeks! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
susie05 Posts: 204
yeah agree with everyone else,Im going public with Dr.Hussain & have had complications & he & the Midwives have been Great to Me & have Told me to come straight in whenever i want. Also Had my ds there in 2006 & Midwives were Lovely,Took ds on the 1st night for me As well & sent me home with a days worth of ready made Bottles so i wouldnt have to Rush in Making some up.
raglan Posts: 83
From my experience, I ended up at Cavan with a M/C and had a D&C and had Dr. Syed. Had a problem that had to monitored as a result of M/C also. Have to say that I found all the staff there excellent and in my situation so compassionate too. I had planned to have baby at another hospital but unfortunately didn't work out....but any future pregnancies (please God!) I definitely would go back to Cavan. Everyone has different experiences, but I couldn't rate the staff and treatment I got highly enough.
hipbaby Posts: 4530
I was only speaking with a woman today who has her DD at Cavan 2 weeks ago. She traveled from Athlone because she wanted a specific relaxed non intrustive birth (not available in Mullingar :o( ) and she said it couldn't have gone better, again she had nothing but praise for everyone there!
TracyD Posts: 750
Definitely check out the birth center - it's even nicer than the one in Drogheda! Tracy
SGirl Posts: 2542
I work with a v experianced midwife, she reckons Cavan is a great service esp compared to other places. I am hopong to get a choice between Drogheda and Cavan, if i get a choice, it will be CAVAN all the way. Friend had her baby there too, and she sang its praises!