ceremony ideas

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

panda_bear Posts: 342
hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a civil ceremony which can make it more unique, we're having a civil ceremony in the hotel. does anyone know if the registrar will do a unity candle ceremony? I like the idea of the unity sand ceremony (like the candle cermony but with sand!), has anyone ever seen this done? thanks! :-8
blueswallow Posts: 1244
Hiya! We're also having a civil ceremony in a hotel and it was the registrar that suggested the candle ceremony to us. I always just thought it was a Catholic ritual, but she thought it would be a nice touch, so we're doing it. I've heard of, but not seen, the sand ceremony. Can't imagine the registrar would have any problem with it as it's non-religious (the one big no-no) and very similar to the candle ceremony anyway.
thanks a million. I didn't want to get my hopes up for a bit of extra touches to the ceremony and then be disappointed. the sand ceremony is quite nice I think, and certainly different. :lvs
just in case anyone is interested.... The timing of the Sand Ceremony varies in each wedding. Most often they take place directly before or after the exchange of the vows. Sand ceremonies are especially important in non religious weddings. Simply find three containers, one for you and your fiance to pour the sand into, two for each of you to pour the sand from. You can find coloured or plain sand at most craft stores. After the officiant reads the text below (or any text you choose) pour the two containers of sand into the third container simultaneously. You may wish to leave a small amount of sand in each containter to symbolize that although you are now joined as one, you each remain individuals. _______ and _______, you have just sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings and the exchange of a kiss, and this covenant is a relationship pledge between two people who agree that they will commit themselves to one another throughout their lives. The most beautiful example of this partnership is the marriage relationship. You have committed here today to share the rest of your lives with each other. Today, this relationship is symbolized through the pouring of these two individual containers of sand one, representing you, _______ and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be, and the other representing you, _______, and all that you were and all that you are, and all that you will ever be. As these two containers of sand are poured into the third container, the individual containers of sand will no longer exist, but will be joined together as one. Just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be.