Champagne Reception

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

spinning jinny Posts: 425
I've always wanted to have a champagne reception but it's working out to be sooo expensive and I don't know if I can justify it! I was thinking, if I could purchase it wholesale from someplace then I'd just have to pay corkage which mightn't work out as bad. Can anyone recommend or advise where I could get champagne online maybe? Or would anyone recommend a sparkling wine that I could get away with? I'm open to any suggestions!!
Lizzy1 Posts: 4128
We're having Summer Punch on arrival, it works out at €5.15 per glass but the hotel said only cater for half the guests because most of the men would rather have a pint so it doesn't work out that expensive :wv :wv Sorry can't help out with the champagne but there is cheaper options :wv HTH :wv
Picasso Posts: 645
We got champagne on promotion in Tesco in the North and with the good exchange rate it worked out great. Including the corkage at the hotel, it's costing €4 per glass for the champagne reception.
Betsy May Posts: 2168
Look out for Cava (Spanish) or Prosecco (Italian) which can be just as nice (even nicer) than Champagne and generally comes in cheaper. Go to all the wine shops in your area and see what discount they offer on buying in bulk (usually at least 10% on a case). There are also plenty of sparkling white wines out there. If you want to jazz them up a bit, offer guests the additional of cassis, framboise, fresh orange juice or peach/strawberry puree. There are also all sorts of fancy things you can do with sugar cubes to add to sparkling wine.
NewMom1 Posts: 1252
M&S have 25% off at the minute when you buy 6 bottles or more. Also Sainsbury have some great deals aswell at the mo, nearest is in Newry. There is a wine supplier also just outside Newry called Anjo Wines and they have some pretty good prices too per case. Hope that helps!
bumble Posts: 1980
We had Prosecco for our drinks reception and it worked out great. It was much nicer than the champagne (even the wedding co-ordinator told us that). If you buy it yourself wholesale just bear in mind most places will charge you corkage on top of that so just check that with your venue before you buy as it might mean it isn't worth your while. BTW - Cava can also be really lovely. Maybe see what your venue offers and do some tastings :hic
Mrs Mia Wallace Posts: 869
[quote="doublel":1rzr92xb]M&S have 25% off at the minute when you buy 6 bottles or more. Also Sainsbury have some great deals aswell at the mo, nearest is in Newry. There is a wine supplier also just outside Newry called Anjo Wines and they have some pretty good prices too per case. Hope that helps![/quote:1rzr92xb] The M&S prosecco is delish! My sister had it for my nephews christening and it went down a treat.
Dolphin Lover Posts: 303
did you check if your venue do sparkling wines? might be an option that is easier / cheaper (when you think of corkage charges) also remember that not everyone will drink champagne plus you get about 7 glasses to a bottle so its not like the wine! we were shocked that our 80 guests only got through 8 bottles (and I drank one of them :o0 ). i was expecting to be really hit too. was glad i did it as its a nice touch but if its not in the budget then don't bother. i cut back in other areas that weren't as important to me (eg flowers). HTH
crazychick Posts: 763
This is a little OT, but at work recently, a friend asked me in the staffroom at lunchtime whether I was having sparkling wine or champagne for the drinks reception. My h2b and I had spoken about it ages ago and not come to a decision and considered maybe just having tea/coffee/mulled wine (maybe cos its in December), but I was real taken aback that she was just assuming I would do one or the other. I didn't know what to say cos I didn't want to look like a scab in front of the others! Having said that it's interesting to note that the venue told l[b:2nfvth83]izzy1[/b:2nfvth83] only to cater for half the guests, that brings the idea into the realm of 'perhaps financially viable'!
jinks Posts: 193
We're having a Prosecco - its still working out fairly pricey as we have decided to go with a good one but definitely wayyyyyyy cheaper than champers. Plus you have to remeember that unless the guests are accumsomed champage drinkers they just wouldnt really appreciate it and will definitely like the Prosecco just as much....i know if i gave my lot the real deal they would swallow it back the same way they would swallow the sparkling wine