Chances of a transverse baby turning (36 wks)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

meagain01 Posts: 11
Hi All I was in the Coombe for my 36 week apt yesterday and was informed the baby was transverse. Does anyone have any experience of this? what are the chances of baby turning now? Also I was told I would be admitted at 38 weeks and sectioned at 39 if the baby stayed transverse. Does this mean I'll be in hospital for a whole week before section? Any advice appreciated?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Can't comment on Coombe policy but my transverse baby didn't move. I've a small frame and baby was happy where she was! I was sectioned at 39 weeks but didn't have to be admitted beforehand, just advised to come in immediately if any labour like things started as it'd be an emergency section. I tried the spinning babies stuff etc, nothing worked!
Thanks Anna, I have quiet a small frame too, but consultant seemed to think baby might move yet. But then from reading on line, not many do at this late stage. Suppose I should really stay off google, and just go with whatever happens..
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
Definitely stay off Dr Google, I did my head in last time trying to work out the odds, do the spinning baby exercises and trying the old wives' tales. Nothing worked, I should have read up on what to expect for elective sections and put my feet up.
hyperrational Posts: 697
My guy was breech at 36 weeks but had turned head down by 37week appointment, so presume it could happen with transverse too.
mrspiggy Posts: 1289
My DD went from breach to transverse continually. At 36/37 weeks she was transverse so I was scheduled for a section at 39weeks. She turned at the last minute (think it happened on way into hospital) and I was sent home. This was in the Coombe and my consultant felt it would be better to try and let things happen naturally. There was never talk of being in hospital beforehand - I wonder did they mean come in for a check-up?
babyforus Posts: 1619
Baby was breech at 35 but turned by 37 week appointment on Monday. I've to go back in tomorrow to make sure baby is still head down (as not engaged). I will be admitted if baby is anything but head down.. Said they'd wait for baby to settle & decide on plan of action. Really hope baby is still head down.
Thanks for the replies ladies. Babyforus, are you being admitted early for observation if the baby isn't head down? what week will you be then? Im sure that's what my consultant meant as opposed to a check up. I was just too stunned to answer and just nodded in agreement.
CherylC Posts: 1071
I have heard of people with transverse babies being admitted alright. Apparently it can be quite dangerous if you go in to labour with a transverse baby, so if they are worried they will admit you for a week or two beforehand to keep an eye on you. And then do a section at around 39 weeks.
Thanks CherylC, I was told to come in straight away if waters broke or I started getting pains. In work now and I can feel a stiffness in my back, and I don't know if I'm imagining it or not.... arragh