Changing bag - specific or ordinary bag ok

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

23leanne Posts: 761
Just wondering do you really need a specific change bag or can you do with a normal big bag that would hold all the essentials?
hils138 Posts: 680
Your handbag will hold the essentials if you are popping out for a short time but particularly in the beginning you need quite a bit of extra clothes as well as nappies, wipes and bottles, so I would recommend a changing bag. HTH
jjewel Posts: 691
I just bought an extra big handbag to use and had no bother with it. It happened to have two sidepouches which were perfect for putting the bottles in and then there was a couple of sections in the main part so was easy enough to organise. I didn't want the hassle of having a changing bag and a handbag so just combined them.
star13 Posts: 291
I liked having a changing bag early on, it came with a changing mat which was handy. All the pouches for the many bits and bobs you need when baby is small are useful IMO. You don't have to spend a fortune though, I was horrified at the price of some of them. In the end my sister gave us a gift of one from the Avon catalogue, very reasonable and very useful. It's up to you, but I found having one much easier and just threw my purse and phone into it.
funkyfish Posts: 7626
i would get a nice one. as in the early days you will have nappies, muslins, changes of clothes etc ... etc... and it will become your handbag. i got a pink lining one. it was €80 but i still use it and it has really worn very well and will be used for this next baba...it has lots of pockets, an changing mat, a wet bag to throw in a few wipes rather than take a big bulky packet, bottle pouches. it was just fab.
Daff Posts: 11644
[quote="funkyfish":3u264cg3]i would get a nice one. as in the early days you will have nappies, muslins, changes of clothes etc ... etc... and it will become your handbag. i got a pink lining one. it was €80 but i still use it and it has really worn very well and will be used for this next baba...it has lots of pockets, an changing mat, a wet bag to throw in a few wipes rather than take a big bulky packet, bottle pouches. it was just fab.[/quote:3u264cg3] I've pink lining too and love it. Had a cheap mothercare one before and it was a nightmare to use. I find the bottle section invaluable, couldn't live iwthout it and I BF for 11 months! Now DD has cows milk and it's great to keep it cold, also for her cheese and yougurts when out and about too.
pinkframe Posts: 628
That's great to read on the Pink Lining bags...I have one bought...can't wait to use it! :)
Emme Posts: 4735
I think investing in one is worth it too...I got a JujuBe and it's brilliant, It's as good as new despite having had everything imaginable on it as you can chuck it in the washing machine. If I end up having the waltons it will stand the test of time.
pag Posts: 633
I never bought a baby changing bag and never needed one. I had an a4 zip bag that was just perfect size. I must say though that I was breastfeeding so no bottles and DD was never a pukey baby so could easily get a few days out of outfits. DH also had no issue carrying the bag. Depends on what you want and what baby is like but def wouldn't be racing out to get one if you would prefer a larger handbag.
PaniniRoses Posts: 3628
I used the excuse to buy myself a gorgeous Radley bag...and not one of their baby bags! I bf DD so didn't need space for bottles etc and it was fine for all the essentials (3/4 nappies, small packet of wipes, couple of baby grows, changing mat and a couple of muslins). My friend was talking about a Pink Lining bag - is there anywhere that stocks them, or are they only availabel online?