Changing Dr's?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mari yay Posts: 4045
Has anyone ever changed Dr's? What's the process? Am living in DH's hometown a year, only went to Dr once, and he's retired now. Went to a new Dr to get pregnancy confirmed as I couldn't get appointment in medical centre close to me and I am an impatient wagon. Now I think I want to go back to the medical centre as they have a female Dr and I don't think I like the Dr I went to in the first place :-8 even though he gave me the referral letter to the hospital. Does it matter? Should I stick with him or get a Dr I would be more comfortable with?
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I think you just need to let the maternity hospital know for your file!
pag Posts: 633
It's important to be comfortable with your GP as you will probably continue to attend there until your baby is 13months and all immunisations have been completed. Did you fill in or sign a combined care form with any GP? If you have, you will be registered with the HSE for free antenatal cover with this specific GP and you will need to get this changed. AFAIK some health offices allow changes but others will only allow it in certain cases ie. if you move. If you didn't fill in any documentation at all then just make appt with the GP you want to attend and ask them about combined care etc. I don't think it really matters about maternity file as they don't usually send any info to GPs. I'd get it sorted before your next hospital appt and just inform them once you are there - eg. do a letter up to the hospital with details of new doctor once you have it all confirmed.
I was told in booking info for my hospital that you need to let them know if you change your GP.
adelz Posts: 3088
Hi I wanted to do this also in the start. I got preg confirmed and my doc filled out paper work, then I signed nothing, then I wasn't really happy with her and in my opinion she was very lax about the whole thing and gave me no info at all, so I wanted to change. I went to see another doc and she told me I couldn't change unless I had recently moved or that, because you are assigned to that doc for your preg with the hse. Now you could be lucky and be allowed to change but try and go see new doc as soon as can and ask them. Sorry Im not much more help :wv
I haven't signed anything, he didn't do a test to confirm pregnancy or discuss any care plans or anything. All he did was BP and weight, and told me to come back in the New Year. I have filled in the form with all my details with the hospital, but my appointment is not until March and I will be 5 months by then, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue with the hospital.
I changed Dr's today, and delighted that I did. New Dr gave me a sheet of what I can't eat, took information, and discussed private vs public. Other Dr never did any of that so much happier now. Won't need to go back to her until 16 weeks.
That's great Mari yay! All going well you'll have your first hospital appointment before then - I was told at my last one that I don't need to go back to GP again until 24 weeks for my first 'combined care' appointment!!
Got my hospital appt but it's not until March so I will be 20 weeks. Think the hosp are running a bit behind they must be busy, but have a private scan next week and Dr was happy enough with that she didn't seem to be worried about the hosp appt being so late.