Changing Name - Help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grotty Dotty Posts: 751
Married a year now and done nothing about it. I think my first port of call will be with the Revenue and claim as a married person. Any pointers after that? Will I be due a tax refund as I have been only claiming as a single person all along?
Bride2be040812 Posts: 1182
Would be really interested to hear more about this as well as havent done anything about changing my name.
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="Grotty Dotty":3htqmd7f]Married a year now and done nothing about it. I think my first port of call will be with the Revenue and claim as a married person. Any pointers after that? Will I be due a tax refund as I have been only claiming as a single person all along?[/quote:3htqmd7f] As far as I know, you really only benefit from the married tax if one of you is working part time, some of your tax credits can then be transferred to the full time working person so they pay less tax. If you are both working full time and on the same tax band - there is no difference / advantage to being taxed as a single or married person.
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Changing with the Revenue is only of benefit if one of you is not utilising all your tax credits. Single or married you get the same credits the only difference is you can give more credits to one spouse than the other. I started with work and then as things came up I used my married name. My bank was first which was easy, just went in with proof of maiden name (drivers licence) and the marriage cert. Since then I have done it as its has come up so for example I was in my GP surgery a few weeks ago for the first time and asked them about changing it, I sent off for a new passport recently too. Unless it comes up I haven't exactly gone out of my way to change it so it's been easy enough.
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I did same as you pretty much Dasiy Row - but I kept my maiden name in work. I started by changing things that could be done over the phone or via email - Vodafone, health insurance, car registration. Only changed bank accounts a few months ago and that was only because I got a cheque made out to my married name and wanted to lodge it. Not going to get a new passport or drivers licence until they expire. Haven't changed with Revenue yet. We're both on same tax band so no benefit to changing from that point of view and not sure if its messy with work if I change my name on govt paperwork. Makes no odds to me anyway really, I can change it someday if needed.
My DH is currently not in employment, so would it make much difference to me to take all the tax credits?
lightscribe Posts: 112
[quote="Grotty Dotty":qdvjdf4p]My DH is currently not in employment, so would it make much difference to me to take all the tax credits?[/quote:qdvjdf4p] Yes it should definitely make a difference, best thing is probably to either call Revenue or call into local office, there is a form that you've to fill out to state that you want to be assessed jointly and that you want to take your DH's credits Some general info here; hth
Thanks, I will give them a buzz tomorrow.