Changing name

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

honeybunch Posts: 1218
Hi girls, I'v been thinking that I'd like to keep my name but also take H2B's IYKWIM. Just not sure how it goes-like do I keep my name and stick his on the end or can I put his in the middle and mine on the end(I think its supposed to be the first way but I prefer the way it sounds the other way :-8 ) Any ideas ladies? :thnk
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Kept my maiden name in work but changed surname on bank details etc to DH surname.
augbh Posts: 169
Sorry-I'm a complete ditz! How do we go about changing our names? Is it automatically done when we get married, or do we have to submit paperwork etc somewhere?
honeybunch Posts: 1218
Oh, good question. I don't know either. I know that you probably should keep your name til you get back from honeymoon as your passport/ID will need to be changed.
edit Posts: 982
I don't really want to change my name - I like it, he wants me to (obviously - don't they all). But I'd hate to be called Mrs. Rotten Last Name and it would remind me of the dreaded FMIL. Ugh! :o(
Vicky1274 Posts: 181
The jury is out for me on this topic.....my H2B is Moroccan and my name just doesn't go with his surname, unless I use my full name which I NEVER do or have done and can't imagine using it now for the rest if my life. But I would like to use his name somehow?!?!?! O:|
MammyC Posts: 3621
I will be changing mine but I have no idea how to do it. :-8
Gnomie Posts: 676
I'm changing mine. I think you have to get your marriage cert and basically send it off everywhere. Will worry about it after the honeymoon!
Mrs Princess Sparkle Posts: 3854
I'm reluctant to change mine TBH, at least at the start. I think what I'm going to do is call myself [b:12k4pbji]Mrs[/b:12k4pbji] Maiden name instead of [b:12k4pbji]Ms[/b:12k4pbji] Maiden Name until I can reconcile myself to letting go of my own name!
mini07 Posts: 282
I'm reluctant too, think I will just have to do it gradually, then maybe when the kids come along I will be used to it but do feel a bit sad about letting go of my own name :o(